Ebuyer comments

Old August 17th 04, 11:02 PM
John Perry

Default Ebuyer comments

I bought a wireless router for a mate, and the router part of it has
packed up. Filled in the enote form late Friday night, and by Monday I
had a reply authorising the return.

Now critics of this post will say, thats the way it ought to work, and
thats true, but I want to put a bit of balance in here as I have never
had a problem with Ebuyer and the only other faulty kit I have had has
just been hard dives.

Oh - 2 days ago a computer I built for my lad went bang literally a loud
bang and a puff of smoke and a burning smell, but PC continued to
operate normally. I took the machine apart, examined it carefully and
could see no damage. Then I took the power supply apart and could see
no obvious damage, but I changed it anyway (old one bought 18 months ago
from Novatech, and before anyone asks, no I am not going to sue them for
a power supply!)
--
SPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
Old August 18th 04, 12:12 AM
Colin Wilson

4 august delivered to me
it was dead on arrival - loud clicking and no picture when it tried to
power up.
12 august collected from me
now the fault is as obvious as one gets - by this i mean the damn things
dead and aint gonna work so it'll sit in an rma queue until it gets the
5 mins treatment it needs to be checked ....

Just get a chargeback on your credit card, and to hell with them.

Old August 19th 04, 09:24 AM
John Hardaker

The bang and puff of smoke bit. In my servicing life - not computers - I
have found a snubber across the mains input of the power supply can suddenly
fail. It is quite spectacular with lots of smoke but the item still works as
the snubber blows itself apart. I have put this down to the mains being a
bit high and causing more stress on the part than usual. I have seen 256
volts here. The component may look OK but closer inspecting shows a strip of
damage from one end to the other. All works without it but you have lost the
snubber action, which is part of the spike removal circuit.

Old August 20th 04, 12:00 AM
John Perry

By a snubber do you mean a VDR, in fact I did spot the blue thing looked
as though it might have been damaged, but I wasn't sure - not sure how I
can test these things with a capacitance tester or ohmmeter.

"John Hardaker" wrote:

The bang and puff of smoke bit. In my servicing life - not computers - I
have found a snubber across the mains input of the power supply can suddenly
fail. It is quite spectacular with lots of smoke but the item still works as
the snubber blows itself apart. I have put this down to the mains being a
bit high and causing more stress on the part than usual. I have seen 256
volts here. The component may look OK but closer inspecting shows a strip of
damage from one end to the other. All works without it but you have lost the
snubber action, which is part of the spike removal circuit.

.. .