Armada 7380DMT with external cd-rom boot problem

Old October 6th 04, 06:53 PM
J. Elzinga

Default Armada 7380DMT with external cd-rom boot problem

Hello,

This is my first compaq laptop I try to repair.
The problem is, I can not go into the bios to look for de external cd-rom.
When I use a diskette, I never come to the cd-rom drive. The cd rom drive is
conected by a pcmcia-card.
But when I have the bootcd in it, it will not go to the cd-drive.
I even cannot go to the bios to make it happen.
Can anybody tell me how to get in the bios??

I already tried pushing several knobs at boot, even with the ctrl pushed in,
but nothing helps.
Anybody an answer for me???

TIA

Jan

Old October 7th 04, 02:39 AM
Earl F. Parrish

"J. Elzinga" wrote in message
Hello,

This is my first compaq laptop I try to repair.
The problem is, I can not go into the bios to look for de external
cd-rom.
When I use a diskette, I never come to the cd-rom drive. The cd
rom drive is conected by a pcmcia-card.
But when I have the bootcd in it, it will not go to the cd-drive.
I even cannot go to the bios to make it happen.
Can anybody tell me how to get in the bios??

I already tried pushing several knobs at boot, even with the ctrl
pushed in, but nothing helps.
Anybody an answer for me???

TIA

Jan

If you still have the original Compaq supplied hard drive installed,
there is a diagnostic partition which has the BIOS setup
information. This is accessed by hitting the F10 key while the
cursor is flashing in the upper part of the screen. You have to
practice the timing of the key press. If the original drive has
been replaced, you have to download a floppy disk based BIOS Setup
routine from Hewlett-Packard.

No computer has native support for PC cards at the BIOS level. The
PC card services are loaded with the operating system, usually
Windows and not MS-DOS. There are Linux and MS-DOS drivers
available but the boot sequence is well advanced by the time they
are loaded. There is usually an audible tone when PC cards are
activated. The bootup options are the hard drive or a drive in the
multibay, half-height bay or a bay in a docking station. You would
have to replace the floppy drive with a CD-ROM drive to boot from
it.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Old October 8th 04, 08:51 AM

[...]