Dabs Website Disaster

Old October 20th 03, 10:12 PM
Rob

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:24:10 +0100, Paul Hopwood
wrote:

As it happens I looked at Dabs.com because Inmac/Microwarehouse, my
preferred supplier, have just done a similarly appalling job of
re-designing their web site and I couldn't find what I wanted there
either.

Do what I always do...ring em up! They answer the phone too....

-Rob
Old October 22nd 03, 09:52 PM
Paul Hopwood

Rob wrote:

As it happens I looked at Dabs.com because Inmac/Microwarehouse, my
preferred supplier, have just done a similarly appalling job of
re-designing their web site and I couldn't find what I wanted there
either.

Do what I always do...ring em up! They answer the phone too....

Presume you're talking about Microwarehouse rather than Dabs? Given
the latter don't even publish a phone number.

I'm usually after a whole list of stuff so it's easier to check part
numbers and that you've not missed anything via the web. You can also
add regularly ordered items to your favourites list so re-ordering is
much easier and more accurate than it is via telephone. And telephone
transactions don't show up on the order history so it's not as easy to
check status or refer to previous orders.

I generally only resort to ringing through orders over £5K, and then
only because I need to put them on account because they exceed the
transaction limit on my purchasing card.

Besides which, if they can't be arsed to a) design a web site which is
usable and b) fix the bits which don't work I really don't consider
them worthy of taking my money! ;-)

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old October 23rd 03, 03:56 PM
Cornelius J Rat

"Paul Hopwood" wrote

Besides which, if they can't be arsed to a) design a web site which is
usable and b) fix the bits which don't work I really don't consider
them worthy of taking my money! ;-)

Well, I thought the new site was bad a couple of weeks back, but performance
seems to have improved and I'm getting used to it.

Stak's website - now THAT'S bad performance. If it doesn't load in the first
20 seconds (!) I stop it and go elsewhere.

Old October 23rd 03, 10:41 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Cornelius J Rat" wrote:

Besides which, if they can't be arsed to a) design a web site which is
usable and b) fix the bits which don't work I really don't consider
them worthy of taking my money! ;-)

Well, I thought the new site was bad a couple of weeks back, but performance
seems to have improved and I'm getting used to it.

They also seem to of fixed most of the stuff which was broken.

Search was still a bit "wonky" a day or so again and seemed to "OR"
words together if you tried to narrow down searches using multiple
words, generating a huge list of irrelevant results and making it nigh
impossible to find some things. Looks like that's sorted now too.

It still uses an annoying mix of secure and insecure content when you
navigate around the account section, which generates irritating
security dialogues in most browsers, but in the main it's much better
than it was.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]