OK you use old 20 pin PSU?

Old January 1st 12, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_14_]

Default OK you use old 20 pin PSU?

In article , Allen Drake wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:41:50 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

"Grinder" wrote in message

On 12/31/2011 12:12 PM, Allen Drake wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 08:08:07 -0600, GlowingBlueMist
wrote:

On 12/31/2011 5:05 AM, Allen Drake wrote:

I have an old PSU that only has a 20 pin connector. I connected it to
a board and it ran fine but when it started I got a message that MS
recommended the 24 pin connector. I removed and replaced it but is
there a way I can add that extra 4 pins and use the power supply?

Al.

Do a quick Google search using "20 to 24 pin adapter power supply" minus
the quotes.

The adapter cables appear to be around $3.00 and will do the trick for
you as long as the power supply will handle the load of your new system.

There sure are a lot of cheap PSUs:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ter+power+supp
ly&sqi=2&cid=10578191554038514366&ei=Z0__Ts-ULYOmmwfoj-3xCw&ved=0CA0QrRI#

It makes me wonder if any of them are worth trying. I have always
been willing to pay top dollar for a well known unit that might even
be over priced rather then take any chances.

I stick to reputable brands after I had a budget unit go out, taking a

motherboard and hard drive with it.

I've never had that happen to me, but I have read enough horror stories to

stay away from the El Cheapo brand.

To address Allen's question, from this picture it looks like they are running

extra wires from the PS side to make up
the other 4 connections on the MB, as Paul was saying in his post:

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/24-p...-converter.htm

That's a great page of info. Another shortcut added to my desktop for
a future read.

Thanks.

Al.

You do not want this one, you need a 20-24 pin converter , not a 24 pin to 20
pin
Old January 1st 12, 11:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

wrote:

[...]

You're right. He needs this one

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/20-p...-converter.htm
--
SC Tom

Old January 2nd 12, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

wrote:

[...]

I ordered this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Old January 2nd 12, 05:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

wrote:

[...]

That's it alright. I also ordered another PSU just to have around the
house.

"SilverStone Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX 12V v2.3/EPS 12V 80 PLUS
BRONZE Certified 100 % Modular Active PFC Power Supply (Black)"

This will be my second one of these.

Old January 2nd 12, 05:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_14_]

In article , "SC Tom" wrote:

"GMAN" wrote in message
In article , Allen Drake

wrote:

[...]

"I am always right" LOL!!!! At least thats what i tell my wife!
Old January 2nd 12, 05:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_14_]

In article , Allen Drake wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:37:41 GMT,
(GMAN) wrote:

In article , Allen Drake

wrote:

[...]

Yep, that works.
Old January 2nd 12, 05:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"GMAN" wrote in message ...
snip You do not want this one, you need a 20-24 pin converter , not a 24 pin to 20

pin

You're right. He needs this one

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/20-p...-converter.htm

"I am always right" LOL!!!! At least thats what i tell my wife!

And how's THAT working for ya? :-) (Hopefully it works better for you than it did with my ex :-) )

Old January 2nd 12, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_14_]

In article , "SC Tom" wrote:

"GMAN" wrote in message
snip You do not want this one, you need a 20-24 pin converter , not a 24
pin to 20

pin

You're right. He needs this one

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/20-p...-converter.htm

"I am always right" LOL!!!! At least thats what i tell my wife!

And how's THAT working for ya? :-) (Hopefully it works better for you than it
did with my ex :-) )

It works till i feel this sharp slap to the back of my head.