How good are expirated cartridges?

Old August 17th 04, 07:15 PM
get high

Default How good are expirated cartridges?

I see some cartridges on ebay but most are expirated ,are these
cartridges still can be use like a year?
Old August 17th 04, 10:14 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

get high wrote:
I see some cartridges on ebay but most are expirated ,are these
cartridges still can be use like a year?

You mean 'expired' - 'expirated' isn't a word! ;o) Personally, I wouldn't
risk it.
lose his marbles?

Old August 18th 04, 09:43 AM
Arthur Entlich

It may depend upon the brand. Some HP printers actually read the
expiration date and will stop working if the cartridge is beyond a
certain date.

In general, dye inks will conservatively last at least one year beyond
the expiration date, probably longer. Pigmented inks are more fragile,
especially once the bottle has been opened, or if it cannot be stored in
a cool area.

Art

Old August 18th 04, 05:52 PM
Anoni Moose

Arthur Entlich wrote in message news:6FEUc.20778$jZ5.4067@clgrps13...
It may depend upon the brand. Some HP printers actually read the
expiration date and will stop working if the cartridge is beyond a
certain date.

In general, dye inks will conservatively last at least one year beyond
the expiration date, probably longer. Pigmented inks are more fragile,
especially once the bottle has been opened, or if it cannot be stored in
a cool area.

I think I've seen instructions for at least some pigment inks from
Epson that say to shake it up first before installing -- presumably
there is some settling of pigment particles. This also may hint as to
how epson pigment cartridges age.

Mike
Old August 20th 04, 06:01 AM
Bob Headrick

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
It may depend upon the brand. Some HP printers actually read the
expiration date and will stop working if the cartridge is beyond a
certain date.

This applies to the higher end HP printers that use seperate ink tanks and
printheads. Ink that is too old may become more viscous and plug the
printheads or the plumbing, so the printer checks the expiration of the ink and
disables printing if the ink is too old. (I recall it is 3.5 years from date
of manufacture.)

The integrated printhead HP products (including all DeskJet and Photosmart
printers) do not have any such enforced expiration date. The warranty date for
these cartridges is typically six months beyond the "install by" date printed
on the package.

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging