Windows XP won't boot with Tandberg SLR7 tape drive

Old February 4th 04, 01:28 AM
Andrew Wasielewski

Default Windows XP won't boot with Tandberg SLR7 tape drive

Greeting everyone,

I am having severe problems getting Windows XP (SP 1) to boot up with my new
Tandberg SLR7 tape drive on board. System has a 3 GHz P4 in a Gigabyte
GA-8KNXP Ultra Rev. 1 M/B - this is the version with embedded Adaptec
AIC-7902 U320 SCSI adaptor. There is a 4 x Maxtor Atlas IV 36.4GB RAID-10
array on Channel A; there is nothing on Channel B apart from the SLR7.

I am using a 68-pin high-density wide SCSI flat ribbon cable together with
terminator which I know works as I have used it in other systems. SCSI host
adaptor is SCSI ID 7. The SLR7 is ID 2 (factory default) & I have also
tried ID 6. Termination is disabled on the host adaptor. All other
settings are as defaults. With this setup I don't get any SCSI errors on
startup, & everything looks normal in the SCSI BIOS utility (i.e. device
scans pick up all devices correctly). This is as I would expect (after a
bit of trial & error) & other settings cause SCSI errors when I boot up.

However, Windows XP won't start properly; the system boots OK but when it
gets as far as the Windows splash screen it hangs there - doesn't crash or
BSOD, just doesn't get any further. On occasion it gets past that stage,
but still freezes before it has finished starting all programs etc.

The first time I booted up with the drive on board, there was no problem, &
Windows Device Manager showed the SLR7 as "Unknown device". I then
downloaded the XP device drivers from Tandberg (slr_w2k.zip). This
installed OK, after which (without rebooting) the drive appeared correctly
in Device Manager.

My guess is that there is some conflict with the RAID-10 disk array which is
preventing XP from booting. The only way I can boot up is to unplug the
SCSI cable. As the drive doesn't appear in Device Manager at all then there
is no way to uninstall the drivers - assuming this is the source of the
problem....

Anyone seen or heard of anything similar? Any suggestions gratefully
received!

Andrew

Old February 4th 04, 03:17 AM
Tim

Andrew,

Check the requirements for SCSI termination. Sometimes channels are odd. If
this is one of those odd situations (IE the cable continues for both
channels - but I doubt it), then you could also have a clash of ID's.

Each cable should require termination at Both ends.
IE on the second channel with the tape drive on, you will have:

SCSI - cable - Tape Drive - Active Termination.

and it should be:

SCSI card with Termination enabled - cable - Tape Drive - Active
Termination.

In that situation, termination should also be enabled on the SCSI Controller
as well - unless the same conceptual cable is used for the first
channel.............. but then it wouldn't be a separate channel would it?
Take a look in the manual.

- Tim

&

Old February 4th 04, 11:58 PM
Pavel

Andrew,

May want to reduce the sync rate of the Adaptec to something lower. Try the
slowest setting and see what happens. Also try it with the Synchronous
Transfer=disabled. If those do not work, play with the other settings. Since
you have four atlas drives and the tape drive, is you power supply
sufficient?

--
Pavel

Old February 6th 04, 01:21 AM
Andrew Wasielewski

Thanks for all the suggestions guys...turns out that the problem looks to
have been due to the cable all along! Eventually I swapped the flat cable
for a LVD one (with the individually twisted pairs) & it worked fine, first
time. Worked with the default settings as well. Looking back, I should
have guessed that the temperamental behaviour might have been due to this,
but got fooled by the fact that it didn't *not* work from the outset.

Useful suggestions from Tim & Pavel, & worth bearing in mind for the future.
Tandberg tech. support also responded quickly, along the same lines i.e.
reduce bus speed setting.

Andrew