XP SP-2

Old August 19th 04, 03:40 AM
Rick & Darlene

Default XP SP-2

Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?

Rick

Old August 19th 04, 03:54 AM
Steve Colburn

I've had it since the public beta. I now have it on my two desktops & one
laptop. No issues beyond having to update Norton.

Do a good backup & smoke test it!

--
Steve
OldManCompute

Old August 19th 04, 04:04 AM
peter

I downloaded and installed SP2 on 2 different systems..on the A7N8X del ver 2.0
it installed without a hitch and after 2 reboots finally started the way it
should.have not really noticed any difference in performance just some pesky
security settings.I use Zone Alarm so I shut the XP firewall off and I dont like
to let XP do automatic updates so I shut that feature down.
On my older Epox MOBO system it screwed everything up royally.I finally lost
patience and just reformatted the system.Then reinstalled XP,then install SP2
and all went well from there.Reinstalled all applications and now everything is
running fine.No idea as to what went wrong.
In both instances I followed the instructions to the letter.And even though they
are networked I installed into each seperately.
peter

Old August 19th 04, 04:10 AM
John Blaustein

Steve and Peter,

I have three home/office computers running XP Home and one laptop running XP
Pro. Should I download SP2 from this site:

Halfway down the page it says:
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more
appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive
this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to
receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more
information on receiving Windows XP SP2.

All my PCs are connected via a network, so it seems more efficient to
download SP2 once and copy the installation file to the other PCs rather
than run Windows Update four times.

What do you think? Am I asking for trouble downloading the installation
file that is supposedly for IT professionals only? (I am definitely not an
IT professional.)

Thanks!

John

Old August 19th 04, 04:22 AM
Philip Callan

John Blaustein wrote:
[...]

I downloaded the huge copy, it makes for a better slipstream, in case I
have to re-install any stations.

Oh, and just FYI, it b0rks NERO Ultra Edition, I had to download an
update to make it work again (how does firewalling and DEP affect a burner?)
Old August 19th 04, 05:10 AM
Bronney Hui

I installed the SP2 RC-2 we get on CD and everything's fine.

"Rick & Darlene" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...

Old August 19th 04, 06:42 AM
singha_lvr

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:40:46 -0400, "Rick & Darlene"
wrote:

Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?

Rick

It has reduced performance on two systems of mine (noticably, but not
tremendously).

I turned the firewall off since I have a NAT gateway that only lets
limited traffic through anyway.
Old August 19th 04, 07:25 AM
Pete D

wrote:

Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?

Rick

It has reduced performance on two systems of mine (noticably, but not
tremendously).

I turned the firewall off since I have a NAT gateway that only lets
limited traffic through anyway.

You should be running other software firewall software in that case as a NAT
gateway only stops incoming traffic.

Old August 19th 04, 07:31 AM
Pete D

I have installed on two machines, it totally borked one but the other is
running fine. If really need to ask yourself if you need SP2, IBM I
understand has put out a request too all there customers not to use it. The
list of affected software is very long and includes a lot of Microsoft apps.

Old August 19th 04, 07:42 AM
cic

"Rick & Darlene" wrote in message
Anyone get the SP-2 update for XP? "Is it safe yet"?

Rick

I have it on two different machines(Intel/AMD) and it works fine.