Portable CD players and CD-RW

Old October 28th 04, 08:48 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

" wrote:

I bought a player yesterday (Panasonic SL-MP77) because it said it
plays CD-RW's and MP3's, but it will not recognize a packet written
CD-RW! So what good is it for CD-RW's?

Does anyone know of a reliable portable that will play CD-RW's using
packet writing -- or a format that will do the same thing by allowing
me to use the drag-n-drop-then-pop-in-the-player type function? These
are lectures I'm listening to and I get them every day. I don't want
to have to "burn" the lectures permanently to a CD (for many reasons
none of which have to do with money; I know CD-R's are cheap). It's a
matter of convenience, time, and efficiency.

Get this $10 "portable":

Ashampoo BurnYa DataCD
http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/pro...?idstring=0026

(Drag and drop in ISO 9660 file system (instead of UDF) which your
player can recognize.)
Old October 29th 04, 05:30 AM
Cathy De Viney

Using Nero's InCD, I formatted a CD-RW, then copied files using drag and
drop. I then put the disc into my Sony D-NE300 CD player, and it works
fine. I never would have thought you could do this, as I always burn my MP3
discs as "data" discs.

I beleive this CD player is available at Wal-Mart for $60. The D-NF400 is
the same model, only it adds AM/FM/TV/Weather for an extra $20.

Learn something new every day!
;-)

"Manden" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought a player yesterday (Panasonic SL-MP77) because it said it
plays CD-RW's and MP3's, but it will not recognize a packet written
CD-RW! So what good is it for CD-RW's?

Does anyone know of a reliable portable that will play CD-RW's using
packet writing -- or a format that will do the same thing by allowing
me to use the drag-n-drop-then-pop-in-the-player type function? These
are lectures I'm listening to and I get them every day. I don't want
to have to "burn" the lectures permanently to a CD (for many reasons
none of which have to do with money; I know CD-R's are cheap). It's a
matter of convenience, time, and efficiency.

Thanks for any help!

Manden

Old October 29th 04, 10:12 AM
smh

' --------------------------------------
Roxio is the Firestone of CDR software
--------------------------------------

manden wrote:

I bought a player yesterday (Panasonic SL-MP77) because it said it
plays CD-RW's and MP3's, but it will not recognize a packet written
CD-RW!

I formatted it using Roxio (packet-write) so I could use it to drag
and drop

Don't think you should be messing with DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc):

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio Shill)
Date: 8/27/01

I'm a great fan of DirectCD "packet writing,"
which allow me to use CD-RWs like huge floppies.
I've never had any problems with DirectCD.

Wait. You will.
=====================

With a Shill like this, Roxio doesn't need any critics!

-------------------------
Roxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!
-------------------------
Old October 29th 04, 10:16 AM
smh

' --------------------------------------

manden wrote:

I bought a player yesterday (Panasonic SL-MP77) because it said it
plays CD-RW's and MP3's, but it will not recognize a packet written
CD-RW! So what good is it for CD-RW's?

I formatted it using Roxio (packet-write) so I could use it to drag
and drop

Don't think you should be messing with DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc). Why?
DirectCD is ditched even by none other than a cRoxio Shill:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio Shill)
Date: 8/19/02

I have used only DCD for packet writing,
have had no problems due to the software -
but too many due to the format itself

to bother with it any longer.

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Roxio Shill)
Date: 6/17/02

uninstalled DCD
when I stopped testing for Roxio
=====================

The above Mikey's statement is the first ever case in which a Shill is
rejecting the very product IT is shilling for.

Old October 29th 04, 10:21 AM
smh

' --------------------------------------

===============================
From: "BrianT"
Subject: Loosing Disk Space {formatting CDRW}
Date: 5/8/03

Mike Richter (Roxio Shill) screeched:

BrianT wrote:

When I re-format a CDRW with Drag to Disk Full Format {EasyCD
6}, the space available after format drops by between 150 and
200 Mgs and I cannot get it back.

The space you are losing is due to sectors found to be unreliable.
It's a good sign that the disc is developing errors and is ready
for the trash. You'll also find that formatting gets slower; it
takes time to retry verification and to mark the bad sectors.

If you insist on using fixed-length packets, you ask for that
as well as losing data.

Mmm, but if I format a brand new CDRW I get the full monty then if I
immediately re-format, quick or full, I loose 150Mg.

Surly CDRW's don't develop errors after 5 minutes?

Also from your statement

"If you insist on using fixed-length packets,
you ask for that as well as losing data"

are you suggesting that the Drag and Drop part of Easy CD is
unreliable and should not be used ?

If so why does Easy Cd 6 have this software and say how easy it is
to use. Now I am very puzzled.

===============================
[So, why does Ezcd 6 have DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc), Mikey?]

Old October 29th 04, 12:41 PM
Cathy De Viney

Yes, I just formatted with Nero, closed Nero then used Window Explorer to
copy MP3s (an audio book) to the disc from my C: drive. I even used Window
Explorer, to delete these files, and then put other files on the CD. Then I
put the CD into the D-NE300 Sony and they play! I was shocked. It didn't
hink this would work. This really is easier than what I had been doing!

"Manden" wrote in message
"Cathy De Viney" kindly wrote:

Hi Cathy,

Using Nero's InCD, I formatted a CD-RW, then copied files using drag and
drop.

You truly just copied them using a file manager (e.g. desktop
explorer) ? I mean, you didn't copy them inside/using Nero. You only
formatted with Nero, right?

I then put the disc into my Sony D-NE300 CD player, and it works
fine. I never would have thought you could do this, as I always burn my
MP3
discs as "data" discs.

Yeah, that's what I wanna avoid. That's great! That's what I want.

I beleive this CD player is available at Wal-Mart for $60. The D-NF400
is
the same model, only it adds AM/FM/TV/Weather for an extra $20.

Good to know, (I don't need the tuner, and $60 is exactly what I
wanted and expected to spend). I returned my Panasonic which was also
$60.

Learn something new every day!
;-)

YAY. Thanks a lot for that reply, Cathy!

Manden

Old October 29th 04, 08:26 PM
smh

' --------------------------------------

manden wrote:
smh kindly wrote:
manden wrote:

I bought a player yesterday (Panasonic SL-MP77) because it said it
plays CD-RW's and MP3's, but it will not recognize a packet written
CD-RW!

I formatted it using Roxio (packet-write) so I could use it to drag
and drop

Don't think you should be messing with DirectCD (Drag-to-Disc):

Thanks. I'm dumping it for Nero InCD!

Before installing InCD, you MUST uninstall DirectCD and then run
RoxiZap:
http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/...ls/roxizap.exe
Old October 29th 04, 11:01 PM
Cathy De Viney

I went to www.amazon.com and searched for sony cd mp3 and there are a few
with remotes.

I would be interested to hear what model you get and how you like it.

And thanks for the tip on using InCD formatted discs!!!

"Manden" wrote in message
"Cathy De Viney" kindly wrote:

Yes, I just formatted with Nero, closed Nero then used Window Explorer
copy MP3s (an audio book) to the disc from my C: drive. I even used
Window
Explorer, to delete these files, and then put other files on the CD.
Then I
put the CD into the D-NE300 Sony and they play! I was shocked. It
didn't
hink this would work. This really is easier than what I had been doing!

Well yeah, that's the point! :-D That's why I wanted a CD player that
supports CD-RW packet write! Who woulda thought it would be a hassle
finding one that actually DOES work with CD-RW and packet write!

But now I have a fly in the soup... I looked up the Sony online last
night and it doesn't come with a remote. Did yours? That's a pretty
important convenience that I'd like, if possible. You wouldn't happen
to know if your player comes in another model with remote, would you?
I tried navigating Sony's site but have dial-up so the delays with all
the graphics and frames and crap was more than I could tolerate at
2am. I guess I'll go hunt for an email address for them...

Manden

Old October 29th 04, 11:19 PM
Cathy De Viney

The Sony I have is really nice...up to 80 hours on 2-AA batteries, skip
free, lots of menu options.

The price goes up a good bit to get one with a remote. The D-NE300 and
D-NF400 don't have remotes...sorry.