Nvidia & Vista nvlddmkm.sys has stopped responding bloody irritating

Old March 16th 08, 12:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
The Kontaminator

Default Nvidia & Vista nvlddmkm.sys has stopped responding bloody irritating

Does anybody know of a surefire way to stop this ever irritating problem
that plagues myself and others that have an Nvidia Graphics card (of
various ilks, 7900, 8600, 8800, etc) and Vista?

There are various things to try from completely removing any drivers for
the graphics card, reinstalling. Underclocking system RAM, faulty ram
sticks - clutching at every straw available basically.

Some of them work, none of them have for me.

It's so unpredictable. My system can go for hours without it occurring
then it can happen every 20 seconds. I can't relate it to temperatures
as my system is cool, I have underclocked my RAM from it's rated 900Mhz
to 800, and even 667Mhz - the issue still remained.

Nither Nvidia or Microsoft are taking any blame on this, some blame
faulty hardware on motherboards or even graphics cards. I've had an Asus
P5N32-E SLI and now an Evga 680i, a 7950GT graphics card and now an
8800GT. My 8800 has been fine for 3 months untill now.

If anyone can help I would be most greatful as I'm short of just buying
a bog standard Dell PC throwing this piece of sh*t in the trash and
making do with a console for my gaming experience!

Thanks.
Old March 16th 08, 06:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

The Kontaminator wrote:
[...]

It's your fault for using Vista and wanting a stable gaming environment
when all the advice to gamers has been avoid Vista.

New OS, new hardware, new drivers, what do you expect? Flawless operation?

XP and DX9 have been around for a generation in computer years, and only
now are things running like they should.

When the argument for adopting Vista is: "Well, XP had growing pains
too" you at least acknowledge that Vista has growing pains and you are
making the choice to work in that pre-mature environment.

SP1 may or may not fix it, I suspect it will at the cost of performance,
you have no idea what Vista does internally for DRM, many times a second
the drivers are polled and hardware checked, each check robbing a slice
of FPS pie, and adding just a touch of instability each time.

nVidia can not fix what MSFT will not allow.
Old March 16th 08, 09:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'Kontaminator' wrote, in part, concerning the nvlddmkm.sys problem:
Does anybody know of a surefire way to stop this ever irritating problem
that plagues myself and others that have an Nvidia Graphics card (of
various ilks, 7900, 8600, 8800, etc) and Vista?

There are various things to try from completely removing any drivers for
the graphics card, reinstalling. Underclocking system RAM, faulty ram
sticks - clutching at every straw available basically.

Some of them work, none of them have for me.

_____

Had that for a week, then it went away - for no particular reason (the last
thing I did before the problem went away was download BUT NOT INSTALL a new
nVidia driver package. Microsoft identifies the .nvlddmkm.sys problem as
the responsibility of nVidia. No response from nVidia, but the problem has
not recurred in the last two weeks. The platform is EVGA 680i SLI
motherboard, E4300 @ 2.7 GHz, EVGA 8800 GTS , 2 GBytes DDR2-1066, Windows
Vista Home Ultimate. The system worked fine for 10 months using Windows XP
Pro, then fine for a month with Windows Vista Home Ultimate, then an every 5
minutes nvlddmkm.sys problem for a week, and then smooth sailing still using
Windows Vista Home Ultimate. Go figure.

Phil Weldon