Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate - guess who spams?

Old September 28th 03, 04:13 AM
tiburón

Default Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate - guess who spams?

If you hate spam you might be interested in this:

In deciding between the big 3 for my next HD I decided to look at all
their privacy policies. Both Maxtor and Seagate are kind enough to let
you "opt out" of crap you never "opted in" if they should happen to get
your e-mail address. By my definition that is spam. Western Digital will
only send you marketing junk if you give them permission to do so, which
is the way it should be. Granted, none of them would get my e-mail
address unless I need to send a drive in under warranty, and I could use
a throw away address. But for me, it's the principle of it. They all
make decent drives but Western Digital seems to operate with more
integrity than the others. They get my business for that reason.
Old September 28th 03, 05:29 AM
Norm

The only reason I switched to WD from Maxtor was their 3 year warranty.
Most of the Maxtors I've seen are down to 1 year but I'll have to admit that
I would never think of making hardware buying decisions on how much spam I
would get from a vendor.

Old September 29th 03, 06:51 AM
Hank Oredson

"tiburón" wrote in message ...
If you hate spam you might be interested in this:

In deciding between the big 3 for my next HD I decided to look at all
their privacy policies. Both Maxtor and Seagate are kind enough to let
you "opt out" of crap you never "opted in" if they should happen to get
your e-mail address. By my definition that is spam. Western Digital will
only send you marketing junk if you give them permission to do so, which
is the way it should be. Granted, none of them would get my e-mail
address unless I need to send a drive in under warranty, and I could use
a throw away address. But for me, it's the principle of it. They all
make decent drives but Western Digital seems to operate with more
integrity than the others. They get my business for that reason.

I'm totally confused.
Why would you give any of them your email address?

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Old September 29th 03, 07:12 AM
Hank

"tiburón" wrote in message ...
If you hate spam you might be interested in this:

In deciding between the big 3 for my next HD I decided to look at all
their privacy policies. Both Maxtor and Seagate are kind enough to let
you "opt out" of crap you never "opted in" if they should happen to get
your e-mail address. By my definition that is spam. Western Digital will
only send you marketing junk if you give them permission to do so, which
is the way it should be. Granted, none of them would get my e-mail
address unless I need to send a drive in under warranty, and I could use
a throw away address. But for me, it's the principle of it. They all
make decent drives but Western Digital seems to operate with more
integrity than the others. They get my business for that reason.

Well for your sake I hope you never have to process an RMA through
Western Digital. and also that you never find it necessary to believe what
you read on there website. If you do, your likely to be as highly
disappointed as I was. Oh, and another thing, make a good backup and
don't waste anytime getting it either.

Good Luck
Hank

Old September 29th 03, 03:53 PM
Larc

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:12:48 GMT, Hank pondered exceedingly, then took quill in
hand and carefully composed...

| "tiburón" wrote in message ...
| If you hate spam you might be interested in this:
|
| In deciding between the big 3 for my next HD I decided to look at all
| their privacy policies. Both Maxtor and Seagate are kind enough to let
| you "opt out" of crap you never "opted in" if they should happen to get
| your e-mail address. By my definition that is spam. Western Digital will
| only send you marketing junk if you give them permission to do so, which
| is the way it should be. Granted, none of them would get my e-mail
| address unless I need to send a drive in under warranty, and I could use
| a throw away address. But for me, it's the principle of it. They all
| make decent drives but Western Digital seems to operate with more
| integrity than the others. They get my business for that reason.
|
| Well for your sake I hope you never have to process an RMA through
| Western Digital. and also that you never find it necessary to believe what
| you read on there website. If you do, your likely to be as highly
| disappointed as I was. Oh, and another thing, make a good backup and
| don't waste anytime getting it either.

I had no problems RMAing a WD HD that failed. They sent me a new one before I
returned the bad one, so I was able to use that box and packing for the return.

I've used no HDs except WD since the early 90s and wouldn't use anything else.

As for backups, it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a current one no matter what
kind of HD is involved. There's never been a HD made that's failure proof.
Anything made by man that has moving parts has two strikes against it from the
start! ;-)

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old September 29th 03, 08:37 PM
Hank

"Larc" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:12:48 GMT, Hank pondered exceedingly, then took

quill in
hand and carefully composed...

| "tiburón" wrote in message ...

I had no problems RMAing a WD HD that failed. They sent me a new one

before I
returned the bad one, so I was able to use that box and packing for the

return.

Yeah after you sent them your credit card number first.

I've used no HDs except WD since the early 90s and wouldn't use anything

else.

Then how could you possibly no the diffrence.

As for backups, it's ALWAYS a good idea to have a current one no matter

what
kind of HD is involved. There's never been a HD made that's failure

proof.

I totally agree but let me add one thing. Dont use a WD drive for you
backups.

Anything made by man that has moving parts has two strikes against it from

the
start! ;-)

Larc

Make that 3 strikes if you use WesternDigital. **** pore reliability, ****
pore reliability
and **** poor Customer Service.
Oh, and since where speaking of strikes let me add just one thing.... S.F.
Giants
all the way dude!!!!

Hank

Old September 29th 03, 09:09 PM
tiburón

Hank wrote:
Make that 3 strikes if you use WesternDigital. **** pore reliability, ****
pore reliability
and **** poor Customer Service.

There are a few people who say that about any hard drive manufacturer
because they had a bad experience. I've heard it said about Maxtor and
Seagate probably more than WD. I'm still using a WD drive that is about
6 years old and has never given me the slightest problem. I'm also using
a Maxtor that is about 3 years old and hasn't had any problems. I'll be
buying WD now though. And most of what I read shows WD's customer
service is the best of the bunch. I haven't had to deal directly with
any of them though so I can only go by reviews and what I can google up
from usenet.

Western Digital Hard Drive Problem Sanbar General 3 July 19th 04 05:57 PM
Western Digital 2000 BeeFarmer General 9 April 30th 04 08:58 PM
Adaptec vs. Western Digital. Who is DEGRADED? Who is FOS? Brian General 0 January 13th 04 05:16 PM
Western Digital, Maxtor or Seagate @drian General 25 October 20th 03 06:24 PM
Western Digital or Maxtor? mbarbet Homebuilt PC's 15 July 3rd 03 10:48 PM