Rule of thumb for Ram 133 or 100

Old August 14th 07, 06:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Rule of thumb for Ram 133 or 100

Is there a rule of thumb to determine what a computer needs for Ram as
far as it being a 100 or a 133? I thought that a CPU ending with a
zero as far as the mhz rating was a 100 (such as a 700mhz or 1ghz) and
computer speeds that ended in 33 or 66 (such as a 166 or 233) used 133
ram. I just bought some used 100 ram online for my 1ghz computer and
it would not work. Turns out it has 133 ram. How can that be? How
does one know what to get aside from ripping the computer apart and
trying to read those small numbers on the chips (which my bad eyes
cant see). Now I got some useless memory and have to order some
others. Maybe it will fit in the kids old computer....

Is there a rule of thumb to follow? Is there a way to determine whats
in the computer without physically ripping it apart?

Thanks All !

TJ
Old August 14th 07, 07:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

wrote:

Is there a rule of thumb to determine what a computer needs for Ram
as far as it being a 100 or a 133?

Read your mainboard manual.

Turns out it has 133 ram. How can that be? How does one know what
to get aside from ripping the computer apart and trying to read
those small numbers on the chips (which my bad eyes cant see).

I think you look at the mainboard manual. At least typically, you
don't need to worry about what memory the CPU supports. If it fits in
the mainboard, it works with the memory.

So, your first task is to determine what mainboard you have. Then find
and read the manual.

Computer stuff requires lots of data. The Internet is a great place to
learn about computers because it massively distributes information
(and many Internet users are computer savvy). You can use text to
speech to help soak up that information. It's a relief for your eyes
and even allows you to read while doing other things besides looking
at the monitor.

Now I got some useless memory and have to order some others. Maybe
it will fit in the kids old computer....

Be sure to read the mainboard manual first.

Is there a rule of thumb to follow? Is there a way to determine
whats in the computer without physically ripping it apart?

To determine your mainboard, look at the make and model of your
computer or use a hardware identifying program like Everest Home.

Good luck.

Thanks All !

TJ

Old August 14th 07, 07:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
Is there a rule of thumb to determine what a computer needs for Ram as
far as it being a 100 or a 133? I thought that a CPU ending with a
zero as far as the mhz rating was a 100 (such as a 700mhz or 1ghz) and
computer speeds that ended in 33 or 66 (such as a 166 or 233) used 133
ram. I just bought some used 100 ram online for my 1ghz computer and
it would not work. Turns out it has 133 ram. How can that be? How
does one know what to get aside from ripping the computer apart and
trying to read those small numbers on the chips (which my bad eyes
cant see). Now I got some useless memory and have to order some
others. Maybe it will fit in the kids old computer....

Is there a rule of thumb to follow? Is there a way to determine whats
in the computer without physically ripping it apart?

Thanks All !

TJ

Try running this program on the computer with the 133 RAM in it.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Does it tell you anything about your RAM ?

A second alternative, is the Crucial scanner. What does it say ?

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

Also, the people on the newsgroup are a resource. Tell us the
motherboard make and model number, as much detail about the
processor as you can (so we can identify the FSB and Core frequency),
and after a bit of back and forth, we can give a best guess as to
what RAM to use.

Both Crucial.com and Kingston.com have menu driven RAM searches.
I think Crucial probably still makes SDRAM, while Kingston may
have passed on it. You would not expect the menu driven system
to tell you much about RDRAM based computers, because they don't
make that stuff any more. So to fill in the gaps, people here
can give you a best guess.

Try the above, and if you still have questions, give more details
about your hardware,

In terms of FSB, the processorfinder.intel.com site is good for
Intel processors. If you have the retail box the processor came
in, that has the SSPEC (SLxxx) code on the label. And that can be
used to ferret out the FSB.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/Lis...Spec=&OrdCode=

And this page shows a portion of the Athlon processors AMD makes.

http://web.archive.org/web/200310180...QDISocketA.htm

Paul
Old August 14th 07, 07:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul wrote:

Also, the people on the newsgroup are a resource. Tell us the
motherboard make and model number, as much detail about the
processor as you can (so we can identify the FSB and Core
frequency), and after a bit of back and forth, we can give a best
guess as to what RAM to use.

Why not just look at the mainboard manual? Doesn't that specifically
tell you what memory to use?

Isn't it that easy?

Paul

Old August 14th 07, 07:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Aug 14, 2:22 pm, John Doe wrote:
Paul wrote:

Also, the people on the newsgroup are a resource. Tell us the
motherboard make and model number, as much detail about the
processor as you can (so we can identify the FSB and Core
frequency), and after a bit of back and forth, we can give a best
guess as to what RAM to use.

Why not just look at the mainboard manual? Doesn't that specifically
tell you what memory to use?

Isn't it that easy?

Paul- Hide quoted text -

Facebook Proxy | MySpace Proxy

http://www.yonghenggzs.cn/

2006-2008 Facebook Proxy | MySpace Proxy- The #1 Facebook unblocker
and Facebook proxy server /The #1 MySpace proxy sites for accessing
MySpace at work and school

Old August 14th 07, 12:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 06:22:38 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Paul wrote:

Also, the people on the newsgroup are a resource. Tell us the
motherboard make and model number, as much detail about the
processor as you can (so we can identify the FSB and Core
frequency), and after a bit of back and forth, we can give a best
guess as to what RAM to use.

Why not just look at the mainboard manual? Doesn't that specifically
tell you what memory to use?

Isn't it that easy?

Just because you got a manual for your mobo dont mean we all have
them. I have about a dozen used mobos or used computers laying around
and none of them came with manuals. I dont even have one for one of
my computers I use. Some can be downloaded, others can not. If they
cant be downloaded, it often near impossible to get them for an older
computer or mobo. You are right, it's eaasy to look at the manual, IF
YOU HAVE ONE.
Old August 14th 07, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
bushwhacker

wrote in message
Is there a rule of thumb to determine what a computer needs for Ram as
far as it being a 100 or a 133? I thought that a CPU ending with a
zero as far as the mhz rating was a 100 (such as a 700mhz or 1ghz) and
computer speeds that ended in 33 or 66 (such as a 166 or 233) used 133
ram. I just bought some used 100 ram online for my 1ghz computer and
it would not work. Turns out it has 133 ram. How can that be? How
does one know what to get aside from ripping the computer apart and
trying to read those small numbers on the chips (which my bad eyes
cant see). Now I got some useless memory and have to order some
others. Maybe it will fit in the kids old computer....

Is there a rule of thumb to follow? Is there a way to determine whats
in the computer without physically ripping it apart?

Thanks All !

TJ

Best rule of thumb is to use the 133 memory for all of the old Plll chips as
some will be 100 and some will be 133 fsb. 133 memory will work at 100 mhz
also. Now as far as celerons go, some are 66 and some are 100 mhz. 100
memory will work on all of them.
The older AMD athlon and duron chips will all work with 133 memory.

" The art of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other son
of a bitch die for his"
General Patton

Old August 14th 07, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message "bushwhacker"
wrote:

Best rule of thumb is to use the 133 memory for all of the old Plll chips as
some will be 100 and some will be 133 fsb. 133 memory will work at 100 mhz
also. Now as far as celerons go, some are 66 and some are 100 mhz. 100
memory will work on all of them.

Unfortunately there were a few cheaper chips out there that failed to
work at 100MHz, but worked fine at 133MHz

--
Americans couldn't be any more self-absorbed if they were made from equal
parts water and papertowel.

cd burning beyond 64 rule Steve Cdr 1 May 25th 05 12:39 AM
Measekite - new rule Burt Printers 76 May 15th 05 05:31 PM
Missing Shipment ..28 Day "rule" Stuart UK Computer Vendors 6 February 6th 05 11:03 PM
[help] 1 cpu to rule them all ~misfit~ General 0 July 12th 04 06:12 AM
I Rule MIDI Creative Music Synth [220] Creative Sound Blaster Cards 0 February 15th 04 06:36 AM