Dell service good ... DHL not so good

Old November 14th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Dell service good ... DHL not so good

Still can't complain about Dell's warranty service, but their chosen
shipping service is another story.

I have had 2 warranty cases with Dell. Both times I used their online
chat. The first was in September. Optical drive on my daughter's B130
laptop stopped recognizing CDs, DVDs worked OK. Spent 5 or 6 minutes
online chatting with a tech, "known problem, we'll send you a
replacement drive. This was at 2PM on a Thursday, the replacement was
on my doorstep before Noon on Friday, from Austin TX to Phoenix AZ.
Last week wanted to take care of 2 other things before the warranty
expired. Go online, complain about intermittent in the wire from the
power adapter to the laptop - "no problem, we'll send you another one".
Also complained about a small crack in the top cover near the hinge -
"no problem, we'll replace it but you gotta send it in". Next day I had
a new power adapter, and they also shipped a box to return the computer
in.

There's the problem! Getting DHL to make a pickup. First time, in
September, needed to send the bad CD drive back to Dell. Packed it,
took it to work with me, scheduled a pickup at work. Gave them the main
mailing address - I work in a secondary building across the parking lot
with a different street address. DHL arrives, calls from the guard
desk, refuses to drive 2 minutes across the parking lot to the other
building, makes me call to reschedule the pickup at the other address.
Dumb thing is, they have a daily pickup at both buildings. Latest
complaint, shipping the laptop back to Dell to replace the cover. Call
DHL, schedule pickup at home since I'm not working that Friday. They
tell me between 9AM and 3PM. 4PM rolls around, no DHL. Call them to
check, get passed to a "supervisor". Their explanation, "The driver was
running late, it would have been 3:30 or later before he got to you,
since your scheduled pickup was between 9 and 3 he assumed you wouldn't
be home, so he didn't come."

Apparently DHL underbid the other guys for Dell's shipping business, I
can't think of any other reason for using such a lame outfit.

Sorry for ranting, needed to vent, thanks for listening.

Jerry

Old November 14th 06, 11:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Lake

wrote in message
oups.com...
Still can't complain about Dell's warranty service, but their chosen
shipping service is another story.

There's the problem! Getting DHL to make a pickup.

DHL! They consistently deliver to our main office even though
the address on the box is the one for my division which is
five miles away. So we have to drive over, pick up the package
(we get a lot of computer systems which are big and heavy!)
and drive back just because the driver doesn't like to drive down
our back road. We've complained before and for a week or two
the service got better but then - right back to the old incompetence.

Tom Lake

Old November 15th 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Tom Lake" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Still can't complain about Dell's warranty service, but their chosen
shipping service is another story.

There's the problem! Getting DHL to make a pickup.

DHL! They consistently deliver to our main office even though
the address on the box is the one for my division which is
five miles away. So we have to drive over, pick up the package
(we get a lot of computer systems which are big and heavy!)
and drive back just because the driver doesn't like to drive down
our back road. We've complained before and for a week or two
the service got better but then - right back to the old incompetence.

Tom Lake

It all comes down to the driver, doesn't it. I get all my DHL at home, and
know the driver by now (even though the only DHL I do is Dell). She's very
patient, waits for me to pack the box and takes it. She even knows now the
best time to come to my house and consistently arrives about that time.

Good service or bad, all comes down to people.

Old November 15th 06, 12:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Lake

It all comes down to the driver, doesn't it. I get all my DHL at home,
and know the driver by now (even though the only DHL I do is Dell). She's
very patient, waits for me to pack the box and takes it. She even knows
now the best time to come to my house and consistently arrives about that
time.

Good service or bad, all comes down to people.

That's true but I DO fault DHL for not disciplining the bad ones. We're
not the only business who has complained about this guy.

Tom Lake

Old November 15th 06, 12:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
spring

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

DHL is a nightmare ...I have endless problems with their delivery service.
Pickup has been ok...

I use Fed Ex first , UPS second and DHL only if no other choice. Mostly
depends on my customers and who they have accounts with.

As a VAR and I need prompt efficient service when ordering stuff for my
customers, and Fed Ex is tops with me.

Bill

Old November 15th 06, 04:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

i think enough of this rant.
this has nothing to do with dell.

all 3 major shippers have their problems. it is all area specific.
dell uses all 3 of them at various times. that is why there is room for
competition. not everyone can cover the entire country properly. if
you're not happy with any one shipper, than go to the other.
that's all common sense.
shipping isn't the only industry that has this "problem"

.... just my 2 ounces worth.
Old November 15th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
spring

wow a rant police...in ounces no less

Old November 15th 06, 11:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Jay B wrote:
i think enough of this rant.
this has nothing to do with dell.

I guess you missed the first half of my post, where I was praising
Dell's warranty service.

Jerry

Old November 15th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
ps.com...

Jay B wrote:
i think enough of this rant.
this has nothing to do with dell.

I guess you missed the first half of my post, where I was praising
Dell's warranty service.

Jerry

All I've got to add is that DHL has done well for me. Given the details
above, however, I must add that they come to my residence and not to a
business location. I've found them to be prompt and with a good attitude.

I don't, however, doubt the gripes with regard to delivery to business and
specific drivers. Certainly possible and unfortunate.

Stew

Old November 26th 06, 07:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
blah

This is why most of Dells Next-Business-Day repair on-site techs
(BancTec Qualxserv, unisys etc.) pick up their parts directly from
DHL. It removes the nightmare of not knowing whether or not a part
will be delivered to the EU's address by the appointment time.

If you ever have an issue with a Dell, your local DHL hub is the best
place to find experienced techs every morning M-F. And many are more
than willing to do "on the side" work if the pay is good enough.

Dan