overclock tips for Epox 8KHA+ ?

Old July 3rd 03, 04:01 PM
Steven

Default overclock tips for Epox 8KHA+ ?

LRW wrote:
I've, as I mentioned, an Epox 8KHA+ motherboard, and was wondering if
I can get some overclocking tips.
Basically, how. =)

The CPU is an Athalon 1600 (1.4GHz) and 1 stick of 512MB 2100 DRAM.

Web searching and searching has lead me to reviews of the board saying
it's very overclocking friendly, that it's able to reach 166 mhz and
remain stable, but nothing seems to explain how.

Looking through the BIOS I found the section on "Frequency/Voltage
Control" and I can adjust the CPU Clock from 133 to 200 (maybe more,
I'm not there at the moment.) But if I do anything above 140 it hangs
on the memory test at POST.

....the problem is that this board has no pci-bus divider - means u screw the
fsb...u screw the pci-bus same amount as well! I am using this board too and can
only advise dont overclock as u risk worst file corruptions - the pci bus is not
meant to be oc'ed!

Old July 3rd 03, 04:34 PM
LeeB18509

What are you smoking idiot?

"QED, eh ?" wrote in message
First, try unplugging the box at the wall - wait 5 sec.s and start again.
Tried the HDD on the other IDE header ?
What about redetecting it in the BIOS ?
What about jumpering to CS ?

"LRW" wrote in message
om...
I've, as I mentioned, an Epox 8KHA+ motherboard, and was wondering if
I can get some overclocking tips.
Basically, how. =)

The CPU is an Athalon 1600 (1.4GHz) and 1 stick of 512MB 2100 DRAM.

Web searching and searching has lead me to reviews of the board saying
it's very overclocking friendly, that it's able to reach 166 mhz and
remain stable, but nothing seems to explain how.

Looking through the BIOS I found the section on "Frequency/Voltage
Control" and I can adjust the CPU Clock from 133 to 200 (maybe more,
I'm not there at the moment.) But if I do anything above 140 it hangs
on the memory test at POST.
The CPU Ratio I leave at AUTO, because if I chnage it, it does the
same thing.

I've tried in the "DRAM Clock/Drive Control" area to change DRAM Clock
and DRAM Timing, but if I do anything other than "by SPD" it usually
hangs at memory test at POST.

Obviously I don't want to play around with it too much and end up
frying something...but does anyone have any guides or know any URLs to
detailed steps to overclocking this board? Or at least better
explanations of what all the items in these areas of the BIOS mean?

THANKS!!
Liam

Old July 3rd 03, 05:21 PM
Alex Marsden

i have this board successfully stable at 160 fsb, my ram is 2x 256 crucial
ddr pc2100 with an athlon xp 2000+
to reduce risk of hdd corruption you can force the hdds to work at udma 66
or less, and also up the pci latency timer to 64, this seems to stableise
things at these speeds.

The reason you are freezing at POST, is that the ram timings are too
strict., these need to be slackened off.... there are plenty of tutorials
about to do this, but i think if you select 'normal' for the timings in the
bios, instead of turbo, fast, or fastest it should let you by. if not find a
tutorial and slacken off the the timings. you can try
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...threadid=53160

Hope i can help.
Crucial ram isn't the most overclockable... you cpu should be fine. my
mother board can get upto 166fsb easily with my set up but my ram does fail
me after a few minutes sitting in xp pro..

When you find your stable fsb back it down 1 or 2 mhz just to be safe.
Keep us all posted.
Alex

Old July 3rd 03, 06:15 PM
LRW

"QED, eh ?" wrote in message ...
First, try unplugging the box at the wall - wait 5 sec.s and start again.
Tried the HDD on the other IDE header ?
What about redetecting it in the BIOS ?
What about jumpering to CS ?

Wow, I have no idea what you're talking about. How does any of that
provide tips or advice on overclocking? =/
Thanks for replying, though.
Liam
Old July 3rd 03, 07:22 PM
LRW

"Alex Marsden" wrote in message
i have this board successfully stable at 160 fsb, my ram is 2x 256 crucial
ddr pc2100 with an athlon xp 2000+
to reduce risk of hdd corruption you can force the hdds to work at udma 66

This brings up an interesting question: Is the trade off of bringing your
fsb from 133 to 160 better than what's lost by taking your HDD x-fer from
ATA100 down to 66?

Liam

Old July 3rd 03, 07:45 PM
LRW

"Alex Marsden" wrote in message
i have this board successfully stable at 160 fsb, my ram is 2x 256 crucial
ddr pc2100 with an athlon xp 2000+

Thanks againd for the reply--one more question:
Do you have any recommendations or tips on the CPU multiplier?
If I set it to anything except AUTO it hangs. Although, in POST it gets to
the point where it shows me my CPU and FSB and RAM stats, whether I have the
multiplier at 6 or 11, nothing seems to change in the numbers.

Thanks for the info!
Liam

Old July 3rd 03, 09:21 PM
Alex Marsden

yes, the processor you have is multiplier locked.... the 8kha+ does not
support multiplier unlocking by default.. (not sure bout ne modz) - but if
you short the cache or woteva u have to do (alter the cpu + vod the
warrenty) it will support the multiplier.
If you need this option to work buy a multiplier unlocked CPU or change ure
mobo.

As for the UDMA option, i stil have mine set at auto, which selects udma100
, and i have no corruption at 160fsb. I have a 40gb IBM deskstar. with a
pioneer dvdrom drive.
its a matter of preference. It will depend on your own individual system.
Each will be different. your hdd may be more prone to write bad sectors or
write faulty data etc.. at higher bus speeds. - your ram/cpu(unlikely in
your case) may get too hot and blow...? - who knows -
your best bet is to try all the different settings and benchamark each
time. - try 'pc mark' and '3d mark' - each tests different aspects of the
overclocking stablityness of your system.
Pc mark - hdd, cpu and ram
3d mark - fsb + grfx card

Keep us posted,
Alex

Old July 4th 03, 03:33 AM
LeeB18509

"Alex Marsden" wrote in message
yes, the processor you have is multiplier locked.... the 8kha+ does not
support multiplier unlocking by default.. (not sure bout ne modz) - but if
you short the cache or woteva u have to do (alter the cpu + vod the
warrenty) it will support the multiplier.
If you need this option to work buy a multiplier unlocked CPU or change

ure
mobo.

Oh good Lord....

Any tips on getting a AMD mobile 2500 to maxium possible speed ? OCZ Guy Overclocking 3 July 23rd 04 08:39 PM
Any tips on getting a AMD mobile 2500 to maxium possible speed ? OCZ Guy General 0 July 22nd 04 06:35 PM
Upgrade Report [Hardware Tips: Get the Right Hard Drive - 05/11/2004] Ablang General 0 May 16th 04 03:17 AM
Tips for Epox 8KHA? LRW Overclocking 10 January 12th 04 06:53 PM
overclock 2000+ to ? SL Overclocking AMD Processors 10 December 25th 03 02:24 AM