Laptop: 1.06 GHz or 1789 MHz?

Old July 3rd 03, 04:02 AM
Zakharin

Default Laptop: 1.06 GHz or 1789 MHz?

I recently got a Compaq laptop advertised as having a Mobile Athlon XP 2
GHz. Now I'm seeing mixed results from various tools in XP home.

FreshDiagnose reports 1789/1791 MHz with Whetstone 4778 and Dhrystone 5442
and Sandra reports 1.06 GHz with Whetstone 2664 and Dhrystone 6403. Windows
built-in information seems to be back and forth throughout the above range.

Is this something that is normal for laptops for some sort of power
conservation reasons? If so, what is my actual speed and when am I acually
getting it?

Thanks,
Boris Zakharin

Old July 3rd 03, 06:24 AM
zmike6

Was that laptop a "2000+" model? Or maybe a "2400+" model? The model
numbers of 2000+, 2400+, etc. are not the same as the actual chip
frequency. I'm not very familiar with the laptops, but a desktop
Athlon 2000+ runs at 1.67 ghz . A desktop Athlon 2400+ part runs
right at 2 ghz frequency. The AthlonXP does more work per CPU cycle
than some competitors' chips. The model numbers are a rough
approximation of performance compared to other systems.

Old July 3rd 03, 08:09 AM
LeeB18509

wrote:

I recently got a Compaq laptop advertised as having a Mobile Athlon XP 2
GHz. Now I'm seeing mixed results from various tools in XP home.

FreshDiagnose reports 1789/1791 MHz with Whetstone 4778 and Dhrystone

5442
and Sandra reports 1.06 GHz with Whetstone 2664 and Dhrystone 6403.

Windows
built-in information seems to be back and forth throughout the above

range.

Is this something that is normal for laptops for some sort of power
conservation reasons? If so, what is my actual speed and when am I

acually
getting it?

Thanks,
Boris Zakharin

You got it. I have a Compaq 2140us and the CPU will ramp up when you need
it and throttle down to save power. If it ran full power all the time the
battery would last about 90 minutes...

Old July 3rd 03, 02:54 PM
Zakharin

Was that laptop a "2000+" model? Or maybe a "2400+" model? The model
numbers of 2000+, 2400+, etc. are not the same as the actual chip
frequency. I'm not very familiar with the laptops, but a desktop
Athlon 2000+ runs at 1.67 ghz . A desktop Athlon 2400+ part runs
right at 2 ghz frequency. The AthlonXP does more work per CPU cycle
than some competitors' chips. The model numbers are a rough
approximation of performance compared to other systems.

It's definitely 2400+ and I know about the speeds as I own a(n overclocked)
desktop with an Athlon XP. The laptop was advertised as running at 2 GHz,
but the highest peed I've seen reported is 1791MHz

Old July 4th 03, 01:26 AM
Yeremein

It's definitely 2400+ and I know about the speeds as I own a(n overclocked)
desktop with an Athlon XP. The laptop was advertised as running at 2 GHz,
but the highest peed I've seen reported is 1791MHz

PowerNow! technology at work--to conserve battery power, the CPU
throttles down when the load is low. (After all, a system idling at 1
GHZ isn't any slower than a system idling at 2GHz, but it consumes less
power...)

If you're running Windows XP, set the power scheme to "Always On" to
turn off the clock throttling. Then you should be able to detect the
maximum speed.