Trying To Decide on Ram for new xp 2600+ System

Old July 3rd 03, 01:14 AM
Dan

Default Trying To Decide on Ram for new xp 2600+ System

I am purchasing a computer from MonarchComputers.com (btw I think its
the best custom computer building company on Earth) and I am having a
tough time deciding what ram to buy. My system will be an athlon 2600+
w/333mhz fsb and stock cooling, a radeon 9600 pro, Enermax/Monarch
305-S Tower Case w/350W PS, 80gb wd w/8mb cache, nf7-s motherboard,
windows xp pro and a whole bunch of 80mm case fans. I plan to
overclock the cpu, ram, and 9600 pro as much as possible w/o
endangering components.

The major desicion I have to make is whether to buy 2 256mb and
run dual-channel or to buy 512mb and save some money. The 256mb brands
that I have been looking at a

256 MB DDR pc3200 (400FSB) OCZ 55$,
256 MB DDR pc2700 CAS-2 CMX Corsair w/Heatsink 57$,
256 MB DDR pc3200 Samsung for 59$,
256 MB DDR pc3200 Corsair CMX256A-3200C2 PT w/Heatsink for 60$
256 MB DDR PC-3500 434 Mhz OCZ 65$

The 512mb brands a

512 MB DDR (333) 2700 Corsair 79$
512 MB DDR (333) 2700 Samsung 79$
512 MB DDR 2700 CAS-2 CMX Corsair w/Heatsink 94$
512 MB DDR PC-3200 (400FSB) OCZ 95$

Could someone please tell me which of these modules will give me the
best performance for the money. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old July 3rd 03, 03:04 AM
Frank Weston

Since cost is obviously important, and since you're compromising on
performance in other areas, it's probably not to big a deal to go with less
expensive memory. Go with the 512 Corsair PC2700.

If I were building a performance oriented but budget minded AMD system for
myself, I'd probably go with a Barton 2500+, epox 8RDA3+, and two sticks of
OCZ PC3500. These components will give a little more flexibility for
overclocking. I'd also plan on spending some money on a good heatsink and
fan.

om...

Old July 3rd 03, 03:10 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:14:11 -0700, Dan wrote:

I am purchasing a computer from MonarchComputers.com (btw I think its
the best custom computer building company on Earth) and I am having a
tough time deciding what ram to buy. My system will be an athlon 2600+
w/333mhz fsb and stock cooling, a radeon 9600 pro, Enermax/Monarch
305-S Tower Case w/350W PS, 80gb wd w/8mb cache, nf7-s motherboard,
windows xp pro and a whole bunch of 80mm case fans. I plan to
overclock the cpu, ram, and 9600 pro as much as possible w/o
endangering components.

Then you will need to replace the stock cpu cooler with a good one.
Thermalright SLK series or Coolermaster Aero 7+.

The major desicion I have to make is whether to buy 2 256mb and
run dual-channel or to buy 512mb and save some money. The 256mb brands
that I have been looking at a

256 MB DDR pc3200 (400FSB) OCZ 55$,
256 MB DDR pc2700 CAS-2 CMX Corsair w/Heatsink 57$,
256 MB DDR pc3200 Samsung for 59$,
256 MB DDR pc3200 Corsair CMX256A-3200C2 PT w/Heatsink for 60$
256 MB DDR PC-3500 434 Mhz OCZ 65$

The 512mb brands a

512 MB DDR (333) 2700 Corsair 79$
512 MB DDR (333) 2700 Samsung 79$
512 MB DDR 2700 CAS-2 CMX Corsair w/Heatsink 94$
512 MB DDR PC-3200 (400FSB) OCZ 95$

Could someone please tell me which of these modules will give me the
best performance for the money. Thank you in advance for your help.

Don't know much about these. I try and look at the actual ram used on the
modules. Personally, I'd get PC3700 modules using the Winbond chips.

Old July 3rd 03, 11:17 PM
Flow

My ram went bust so i purchased corsair xms memory,
it's with heat spreader.timings are not very fast , cas2 3-6-3-1T but i can
set it to lowest values
cas2 2-5-2-1T on my mainboard with ultra and 4way interleave set,
and it's steady as a rock.Also it overclocks very well.
I would say buy the best corsair you can afford,it's quality and fast in any
range.

"Dan" schreef in bericht
om...
[...]

Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking 333 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
how much can i overclock my computer en how MiniDisc_2k2 Overclocking 2 July 6th 03 12:58 AM