Power Supply questions

Old July 2nd 03, 11:05 PM
No Data Sent

Default Power Supply questions

I have a Powmax model LP8800D 400 watt PS that came with my case (a
$12 PS on pricewatch) I would like to replace it with a more suitable
PS. Any suggestions are welcome. The main questions I have are as
follows:
1. Do any PS's come with 7 plugs (2 CD, 2 HDD, 1 video card, 1 CPU fan
and 1 Case fan) and if not how do you decide what shares with what?
2. What is the most economical solution but completely reliable PS to
run a vcore of 1.8 on my system listed below.
MSI Nforce2 ultra mainboard
Vantec 6040H copper HSF
ATI 9500 video card
80 & 60 gig WD hard drives
CD burner & DVD burner (now its just a second CD but I will upgrade
later)
Case fan that needs plug
2 x 256 Geil pc3200 ram
that's about it.
Thanks.
Old July 3rd 03, 12:06 AM
PhilG

Antec's are one of the best PSU's out there. I just installed a True550
Control and it has been great but, it is expensive. If the true430 is in
your price range you will not be disappointed.

In this article you can see that many of the power supplies tested actually
put out way above or below their advertised rating. Check this article on
Tom's hardware about power supplies.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/index.html

Old July 4th 03, 12:08 AM
Kevin Hamann

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 22:05:50 UTC, No Data Sent wrote:

I have a Powmax model LP8800D 400 watt PS that came with my case (a
$12 PS on pricewatch) I would like to replace it with a more suitable
PS. Any suggestions are welcome. The main questions I have are as
follows:
1. Do any PS's come with 7 plugs (2 CD, 2 HDD, 1 video card, 1 CPU fan
and 1 Case fan) and if not how do you decide what shares with what?

A few do have 7 plugs, most don't. "Y" cables work to get enough
connections. I'd put the hard drives and the video card on their own
connectors, the cpu fan on the motherboard (unless it draws more amps
than the board can supply, that should be in the manual), and the rest
on splitters.

2. What is the most economical solution but completely reliable PS to
run a vcore of 1.8 on my system listed below.
MSI Nforce2 ultra mainboard
Vantec 6040H copper HSF
ATI 9500 video card
80 & 60 gig WD hard drives
CD burner & DVD burner (now its just a second CD but I will upgrade
later)
Case fan that needs plug
2 x 256 Geil pc3200 ram
that's about it.
Thanks.

From reading discusssion at http://www.overclockers.com and
http://www.silentpcreview.com (in their forums). I got a Fortron
Source/Sparkle 350 PS with a 120mm fan (FSP350-60PN). It retails
around $55USD and the 80mm models are significantly cheaper. It's
relatively silent and runs the following (been running it for about a
month). Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com) reviewed two
Fortron Source supplies in one review and one in another, all three
produced more power than their ratings and shutdown before failing
(Fortron Source is the OEM for Verax and a number of other power
supply vendors). The FSP350-60PN relatively silent and runs the
following (been running it for about a month).

Asus A7N8X (non deluxe)
AMD Tbred 2100+ at 12.5x166.6 (1.65 V)
512 MB Kingston CL2.5 PC2700 RAM
80GB WD and 30GB Maxtor 7200 rpm hard drives
Chaintech Geforce 4 ti4200 8x video card
Advansys ultrascsi card running a cdrom and burner
Linksys nic
SB Live
a 120 mm fan and 2 80 mm fans

You might want to take a look at the case and power supply section at
www.overclockers.com, tom's hardware psu reviews and other placest to
get a consensus.

Good luck,

Kevin