'99 Buick Regal CD-R questions

Old December 8th 03, 02:58 AM
Michael Sovitzky

Default '99 Buick Regal CD-R questions

I'm trying to figure out what variables go into making audio CD-R's that
will play in my 1999 Buick Regal LS w/ Monsoon audio. I have tried TDK 48x,
Verbatim 16X, and Verbatim 48X DataLifePlus. I burned all at PowerRec speed
on my Plextor 48X24X48X IDE drive. They all won't play in the car, and give
E10 or E20 on the Buick's CD player.

Is there anything I should check/change on the options on Roxio CD Creator
6.2.0.110 or does the software have nothing to do with it?

I saw another post back in January saying that some guy had luck on his 98
GM CD Player using Verbatim DataLifePlus, but as you can see above, I
didn't. Is it because I recorded at PowerRec (MAX) speed? Is recording at
lower speeds ever going to make the CD-R more compatible on other CD audio
players?

Thank you for all the help!

--
Michael Sovitzky

Old December 8th 03, 03:04 AM
Mike

I had a similar problem playing CDRs in my 1995 Infinity G20. For me
it turned out that the problem wasn't with the media it was a problem
with the CDR writer. At that time I had an old 2x Acer CDR burner.
Anything that I recorded in DIsakAtOnce mode would not play in
the Infinity but would play on all of my other CD players. If I
burned in TrackATOnce mode the CDRs would play with no problem.
The solution for me was to get a newer CDR burner.

You can probaly test this real easily by burning a disc in TrackATOnce
mode and seeing if it will play.

Good luck!

Old December 8th 03, 03:30 AM
Tim Kroesen

I'd give a CD-RW disc try too; it's been reported that some car players
inexplicably like em' better that CD-R media... You might also try not
writing CD-Text if you are to the blank...

Tim K

Old December 8th 03, 04:54 AM
Mike Richter

Michael Sovitzky wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what variables go into making audio CD-R's that
will play in my 1999 Buick Regal LS w/ Monsoon audio. I have tried TDK 48x,
Verbatim 16X, and Verbatim 48X DataLifePlus. I burned all at PowerRec speed
on my Plextor 48X24X48X IDE drive. They all won't play in the car, and give
E10 or E20 on the Buick's CD player.

Is there anything I should check/change on the options on Roxio CD Creator
6.2.0.110 or does the software have nothing to do with it?

I saw another post back in January saying that some guy had luck on his 98
GM CD Player using Verbatim DataLifePlus, but as you can see above, I
didn't. Is it because I recorded at PowerRec (MAX) speed? Is recording at
lower speeds ever going to make the CD-R more compatible on other CD audio
players?

Thank you for all the help!

Compatibility depends on the writer, the medium, the speed and the
reader. In general, the better (more compatible = fewest errors) the
writer, medium, speed combination is, the more drives will be happy with
the result. However, many mobile players (Discman, auto, etc.) are
choosy about the medium. Try a variety of types to see what works best
for you. One of my drives (in a laptop) is unhappy with everything but
the obsolete gold/gold blanks. When my stock runs out, I may have to
retire the drive and the laptop that holds it.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old December 9th 03, 03:44 AM
Michael Sovitzky

To everyone that responded, thanks. I was able to make it work by using
Roxio's VariRec feature and choose the +1 setting, which forces a 4X burn
speed. I've made 4 discs now, and they all play fine in the Buick.

Michael