Fan came off the graphics card

Old October 26th 13, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Fan came off the graphics card

I got a free computer from a friend. This thing was in terrible condition. But I've managed to repair most of it and it turns on and works now. So far I've only sunk $20 into it and I'm happy. But the one thing I haven't been able to fix is the GPU fan falling off the GPU. I'm not sure what to use to reattach it - I can only assume it has to be very adhesive and must be able to withstand and conduct heat. I'm just not sure what material can provide that. The graphics card doesn't have screw holes, nor does the fan, so it has to be this holding it.

I hope someone has an idea or has experienced this before. Thank you for any ideas.

Tucker
Old October 26th 13, 03:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:
I got a free computer from a friend. This thing was in terrible condition. But I've managed to repair most of it and it turns on and works now. So far I've only sunk $20 into it and I'm happy. But the one thing I haven't been able to fix is the GPU fan falling off the GPU. I'm not sure what to use to reattach it - I can only assume it has to be very adhesive and must be able to withstand and conduct heat. I'm just not sure what material can provide that. The graphics card doesn't have screw holes, nor does the fan, so it has to be this holding it.

I hope someone has an idea or has experienced this before. Thank you for any ideas.

Tucker

Make and model number of video card ?

Were you able to find pictures of the video card
on the Internet ?

If you can find a picture, post the URL so we
can see what you're facing.

*******

Double-sided tape is used for some things, but
that would not normally be a choice for a video card.
Choices there would include plastic push-pins (with
expanding tips), or screws.

Some fans are integral to the heatsink that surrounds
them, and the fan doesn't really have a body like
a computer case fan does.

In cases where it isn't obvious how to repair it,
you can get complete replacement heatsink/fan
combinations. These usually cover a limited range of
video cards. If the video card only cost $40 in the
first place, it hardly makes sense to use a $40
repair kit. Using an aftermarket cooler, is
reserved for the more expensive cards, where you
have a significant investment in the card.

Accelero S1 Plus VGA Cooler $40

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vg...o-s1-plus.html

"S1 PLUS Turbo Module is required for sufficient cooling capacity
on the following VGA cards.

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250, 240(OEM), 150(OEM), GT 9800GTX+, 9800GTX,
9800GT, 9600GT, 8800GTS 512(G92), 7950GT

AMD Radeon HD 7870, 7850, 6870, 6850, 6790, 5850, 5830, 4870,
4850, 4830, 1900XTX, 1950Pro, 1950GT, 1900XTX, 1900XT, 1800XT"

That's to give some idea, what video cards such a product
might cover. You have to do your research, before
getting a product like that. The products rely on
the screw hole pattern, being common to multiple
video card models.

That particular company, also provides a height restriction
drawing, so you can check whether something on the card,
will bump into the heatsink. The last page of the drawing,
contains a list of video cards that fit.

http://www.arctic.ac/fileadmin/as1p/...S1_PLUS_r0.pdf

Paul
Old October 26th 13, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Don Phillipson[_4_]

Tucker wrote in message

I got a free computer from a friend. . . . the one thing I haven't been
able to fix is the GPU fan falling
off the GPU. I'm not sure what to use to reattach it

You need the old-fashioned type of PC shop, with the experience
to diagnose immediately on the counter without charge, and the
honesty to tell you which repairs are cheapest. Big box stores
do not offer this service. (This city has a dozen big box PC
stores and two or three of the old-fashioned type.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3000 use other graphics card later? WannaKatana Homebuilt PC's 1 April 21st 07 05:57 AM
Integrated Graphics + Graphics Card Andrew General 5 November 5th 06 11:53 PM
Remedy for bad graphics card bios flash --- use PCI graphics card WITH dead AGP card to reflash bios [email protected] General 1 January 22nd 06 05:59 PM
Graphics card Paul Dell Computers 3 November 7th 05 04:39 AM
sound card and graphics card ports? Bob General 5 November 2nd 04 12:14 AM