Problem with Skymaster ATA 133 RAID controller and A7N8X-E Deluxe

Old August 6th 04, 07:24 AM
Jimmy Dean

Default Problem with Skymaster ATA 133 RAID controller and A7N8X-E Deluxe

Have added above to system as I need the extra IDE controller (I have
a A7V133 and got hooked on the standard IDE and Promise IDE
controllers)

When I add a HDD to the Skymaster controller, the system won't boot. A
boot floppy for example starts to load, but then stops short of
actually booting.

With a CD-ROM added to the Skymaster the system boots WinXP normally
and I can see the CD-ROM in Windows and read from it etc.

What is wrong?

jd
Old August 6th 04, 09:14 AM
Paul

In article , Jimmy Dean
wrote:

Have added above to system as I need the extra IDE controller (I have
a A7V133 and got hooked on the standard IDE and Promise IDE
controllers)

When I add a HDD to the Skymaster controller, the system won't boot. A
boot floppy for example starts to load, but then stops short of
actually booting.

With a CD-ROM added to the Skymaster the system boots WinXP normally
and I can see the CD-ROM in Windows and read from it etc.

What is wrong?

jd

I don't know if Skymaster has a web site, but tracing the product
down, it looks to be popular in Australia. One site mentions it
has a Silicon Image controller on it, which would possibly lead
here. CMD is a company that Silicon Image bought (or vice versa,
don't know the details), and apparently the 0680 can be
"abused" to make a software RAID or can be used as an ATA
controller.

http://www.siimage.com/products/sii0680.asp

The Siimage page says a default Microsoft IDE driver will work ?

The weak link, will be the BIOS flashed into the IDE controller.
The BIOS would have support for whatever I/O calls are needed
at boot time, and perhaps when the BIOS is loaded from the card,
there is a conflict or a problem with that BIOS. I would try
and find a flasher for the card, and try to bring it up to date.

It pays to always check out a company making hardware (Skymaster
in this case), to make sure they have a support page, that
they have a good history in Google, and that the support page
appears to have regularly updated firmware/drivers. I'm sure
you paid good money for that card, and probably could have had
a Promise/Highpoint/Adaptec/whatever in its place.

I think this post in Google, found by searching for CMD0680
says it all. I don't think this needs to be translated :-(

"Dann ist alles klar. CMD-Controller sind seit jeher
buggy und inperformant (dafuer halt sehr billig). Ich kann
nur sagen: Finger weg davon. Man hat nichts als Aerger und
Performance-Probleme."

HTH,
Paul