install of SoundMax

Old February 15th 05, 07:38 PM
Al

Default install of SoundMax

I have a drive which is not original to a compaq. I put the drive into a
Presario 5000 series (circa autumn 2000).

The sound is onboard. The chip is Via AC'97. I took the directory c:\cpqdrv
from a running compaq hd, with working sound, and copied it to the new drive.
I tried to use the inf file from the transplanted directory (I forget the name
of the sound subdirectory, and I'm not on that machine right now - though it
was something like ADE) to install the sound on the new drive. But the sound
doesn't work. It shows up under Device Manager as SoundMAx under multimedia,
but buttons are greyed out under ControlPanel/Sounds; also, utilities like
Aida show that no sound card is installed.

I'm thinking there are other necessary files in Compaq's D: drive, which are
not yet transplanted to the new drive by me.

I've seen Compaq offering a 24 meg download of presumably all-combined
drivers, but have also read that it doesn't work for Soundmax. I've tried
undating the driver online - Windows ME does find and install a driver online,
but the sound still doesn't work.

How to proceed? Thanks.
Old February 15th 05, 07:40 PM
Al

forgot to mention, the PC speaker also does not work. everything else does,
that I'm aware of, including the modem

and if it wasn't clear in my orginal post: the sound works fine when the
original drive is in the machine
Old February 16th 05, 05:47 PM

"Al" wrote in message
[...]

There will be Registry entries that are needed in addition to what you
copied from the directory.
I've just fixed a no sound problem after installing W2000 onto a clean HD
(on a Deskpro EC - uses AC97). I downloaded the AC97 driver (about 24 Mb -
SP21180.exe) Sound now fine. (This file also has SVGA video drivers
included) . Look for drivers www.hp.com/support

Hance Rapids SATA HostRaid Driver Installation for GA-8KNXP Ultra-64 Jeff French Gigabyte Motherboards 6 February 14th 05 01:29 AM
7VRXP - WinXP install problem with IDE RAID = Mirror Dale Sampson Gigabyte Motherboards 0 November 7th 04 08:43 PM
Can't install Nero 6 James Cdr 1 September 13th 04 11:22 PM
Unable to install Windows 2000 Server on dual CPU 7DPXDW+ Rob Nicholson Gigabyte Motherboards 6 April 13th 04 10:46 PM
Install Problems with an Adaptec 2400a RAID Controller! Starz_Kid General 1 June 24th 03 03:44 AM