C. Presario 7QSM11 (7000z-series) Installed a new 120GB HD but cant see more than 23G

Old January 15th 05, 09:58 AM
bdubslawman

Default C. Presario 7QSM11 (7000z-series) Installed a new 120GB HD but cant see more than 23G

Quaoar Wrote:

You were creating a Primary DOS partition? The last step is Do you
wish
to use the maximum available size for a primary DOS partition and make
the partition active (Y/N)
What did you choose?

Well if you choose no, it asks you how much you want use for primary.
I thought it was implied; with what I had wrote that I had OBVIOUSLY
chosen the entire hard drive.
I wrote: ]]]]]]]]"It would only see 23795MB of the hard drive.
I tried using the Compaq Quick Restore disks after deleting the
original partition. Once ME was up and running, I checked and Windows
also only saw 23.## GB."[[[[[[[[[[[

But to cut my venting short, after a round and round with Compaq/(HP)
customer service, apparently the Presario 7QRSM11 has a maximal
limitation of 75GB HD. NO IT'S NOT A BIOS LIMITATION! The BIOS, that
I flashed, SEES ALL 120GB OF THIS PARTICULAR DRIVE. I asked the CS
people 3X what exactly the limitation is but (they either
couldn't/wouldn't articulate what the issue is). But I am P***ed and
F***ed. No where in any manual does it document this, at least not
what was sent with the computer or listed on any of the help files of
C/HP's site.

Basically I can get a new MOBO, or use an external HD via USB. For
some, bizarre to me reason, the HD limitation does not apply to an
external USB drive. But I don't/my sister doesn't want an external
drive.

WHAT THE F' WAS COMPAQ DOING/THINKING? A 2001 COMPUTER WITH THAT KIND
OF GOVERNOR ON IT WAS SEVERELY SHORT SIGHTED AS 80GB HARD DRIVES WHERE
ALREADY ON THE MARKET BACK THEN.

...And then there are the two hard drives a 160GB and 120GB drive that
I bought for this update. Plus I have waisted about 4 days reading and
trying everything under the sun to get the stinking 120GB HD to be
recognized.
Compaq said a controller card won't work either, but I am going to try
it anyway for S**ts and giggles! Although they tend to be a bios
by-bass or legacy tool to overcome a non-existant port/speed/bios issue
and this system doesn't have that problem...

It's only crime was that Compaq made it!

CONSIDER THIS THREAD SOLVED UNDER PROTEST!

Guess I'll just have to keep my sister all to my self ;-)

--
bdubslawman

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 27th 04 06:21 PM
CATALYST™ Release Notes Version 3.8 Pluvious Ati Videocards 17 October 12th 03 03:40 PM