10GB C: Drive Not Seen With W98 Boot Floppy

Old August 10th 04, 03:41 PM
Dave

Default 10GB C: Drive Not Seen With W98 Boot Floppy

A request for advice if I may:

I recently acquired a Deskpro that I'm trying to clean up and set up for
friends. No manuals, no diskettes, no CDs, etc. I planned to start fresh
by wiping the disk clean and re-loading an OS. If I boot with a Win98 boot
floppy the C: drive isn't seen, though the CD-ROM assigned as D: is.
Reading other posts here I suspect it may be the 8MB BIOS barrier and
perhaps I need an upgrade (the HDD is 10 MB).

I've looked for a model number to use in searching for an upgrade and found
only a barcode sticker on the back that began with the code "6014DW". Is
this the model number or do I need look somewhere else?

I also see this is a 600MHz Celeron based system.

Not having done anything with a Compaq before, any thoughts and advice would
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Old August 10th 04, 03:43 PM
Dave

Correction. I don't know this is a 600MHz Celeron based system (confused it
with something else I'm working on).

Old August 11th 04, 02:27 AM
Tom Scales

Could be the BIOS limit (which would be 8Gb, not 8Mb), but it also could be

1) Jumpered wrong -- should be Cable Select
2) On the wrong spot in the cable - should be on the end connector
3) Not partitioned and formatted

Tom

Old August 11th 04, 05:32 AM
Dave

g Yes, I guess 10MB would be a pretty small HDD today.

I should have mentioned that the HDD is working with an installed OS now,
but I intend to start fresh with a clean install. It is seen and functional
from Windows. Why it isn't seen after booting with a W98 boot floppy is
puzzling.

Old August 11th 04, 06:38 AM
mike

Dave wrote:
g Yes, I guess 10MB would be a pretty small HDD today.

I should have mentioned that the HDD is working with an installed OS now,
but I intend to start fresh with a clean install. It is seen and functional
from Windows. Why it isn't seen after booting with a W98 boot floppy is
puzzling.

What's the current operating system?
Unless it uses FAT16 or FAT32, your floppy won't be able to read it.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Compaq Aero floppy,ram,battery.

Old August 11th 04, 01:08 PM
terry_b17

hi,
have you gone into setup and checked the size listed for the drive ?
if it has ddo software installed it will be less than the 8 gb limit
in the bios but after it boots the full size is available . a
regular boot disk doesn't install the overlay so the drive is not
recognized . you could also check the jumpers to see if they are set
to special settings for the ddo software .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============

Old August 12th 04, 01:11 AM
Dave

Thanks for the suggestions. BIOS shows 10GB. No special jumper settings.

Dave

"terry_b17" wrote in message
hi,
have you gone into setup and checked the size listed for the drive ?
if it has ddo software installed it will be less than the 8 gb limit
in the bios but after it boots the full size is available . a
regular boot disk doesn't install the overlay so the drive is not
recognized . you could also check the jumpers to see if they are set
to special settings for the ddo software .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware

troubleshooting newsgroups.

Old August 12th 04, 02:11 AM
Tom Scales

Ah, W2K.

Is the hard drive formatted as NTFS? Right click on the drive and choose
properties.

If it is, the drive 'won't exist' to a W98 boot floppy.

Tom
"Dave" wrote in message
It's Win2000.