notebook wont start

Old July 20th 04, 04:43 AM
barbibiz

Default notebook wont start

Okay, I have this Compaq notebook 800, it just wont start!
I dont remember doing anything to it.
any help, appreciated
thanks
felicity

Old July 20th 04, 11:22 AM
HH

Felicity,
What happens when you hit the power on button? Any lights or sounds at all?
Please be specific so we might offer suggestions. You might check the first
Q/A in the ompaq FAQ. It lists what info to post when you report a problem
with your PC/Laptop.
HH

Old July 20th 04, 04:38 PM
barbibiz

Sorry about the lack of info I was so ****ed off about it happening I
wasnt thinking straight.
Okay, AC adapter plugged in and working, there is a green light, press the
on button, nothing.
No powering up ( I think that is what it is called) any ideas HH?
thanks
felicity

Old July 20th 04, 07:47 PM
HH

Hmmm.assuming the green light stays on, have you tried holding the power
button down for 4 seconds to shut off the laptop completely, then try
powering up?
HH

Old July 21st 04, 12:09 PM
barbibiz

I have tried that.. it is like it has been knocked but it hasnt.. nothing
comes up on the screen.
anymore ideas?
fliss

Old July 21st 04, 05:42 PM
GuyMan

Hello there,

How old is this machine?
Could the internal battery be dead? Some machines don't start when
the internal battery is dead.

Hope this helps,
Guy

Old July 22nd 04, 07:16 AM
barbibiz

I want to thank each and every one of you for your help.. can you believe
it.. it has been fixed!!
I told hubby it was not working and by chance he had the other day got the
number of local guy who fixes them (unbelievable in this town.. to which we
have not longed moved) Anyway half an hour later he arrives and in 10
minutes had it working... he took the battery out and cleaned it(with a
brush) the doodads..LOL.. connectors and hey presto it worked.. who knew?
never occurred to me.
So every one thanks.. now I have to go fix the acer laptop..
regards
felicity

Old July 22nd 04, 11:15 AM
HH

Hmmm. Often the simple solution is the correct one. "Forest for the trees"
type of thing. Glad you are up and running again. And thanks for posting the
solution. Many do not.
HH