80 GB hard drive

Old February 21st 04, 04:59 AM
Euclid

The hard drives are probably compatible. It depends on what the motherboard
and bios will recognize (look in your bios). Windows XP machines probably
accept up to 120GB hard drives without a problem. Older machines, maybe not.
I had a W98se HP Pavilion purchased in 1999 that would only recognize up to
a 60GB hard drive, a bios limitation. I got around it by installing an IDE
PCI adapter card. I currently have a Compaq Presario purchased last summer
with Windows XP which came with a 40GB hard drive. I put in 2 new drives, a
120GB and 80GB, and it works fine. The Recovery CDs also work OK after
replacing the original hard drive, which is probably usually the case, but
again might not be true of some older machines.
--
Euclid

wrote in message
I'd like to replace my 20GB HD with a new 80GB HD.....my question is: Are
all HD compatible?

thanks....

Old February 21st 04, 06:58 AM

Default 80 GB hard drive

Old February 21st 04, 11:44 AM
HH

It should work OK. There are a couple of items in the Compaq FAQ regarding
hard drive additions/replacements worth reading.

HH

Old February 24th 04, 06:53 PM
Adam Richardson

HH wrote:
It should work OK. There are a couple of items in the Compaq FAQ regarding

Where's that?

Thanks,
Adam

--
Adam Richardson
Email me at: stonemonkey at ntlworld dot com

Old February 24th 04, 09:25 PM
Adam Richardson

HH wrote:

In the Compaq FAQ reposted each Saturday in this newsgroup.
HH

Yes, sorry! I realised just after posting. Tried to cancel it but...

Thanks anyway,
Adam