Problem with 5108 IDE Controller

Old January 27th 04, 02:02 AM
HH

Tom,
Glad you said it. I was going to give a one-word reply, to wit: Huh?

HH

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
I wasn't trying to be funny.

You're wrong. Completely wrong.

Can't even imagine where you get the Ram vs. Rom that you're saying here.

Show me a link please.

DVD drives use, uh, DVD drivers.

CD drives use CD drivers.

That's it.

Tom
"Trai' La Trash" wrote in message
Tom Scales wrote:
What the heck is a ram driver?

Tom DVD uses what's referred to as a RAM driver and CD uses a ROM

driver.
If you put a DVD drive in without the RAM drivers it will only function

as
as a CD drive.
Also if you prefer to use Windows media player 9 as I do you will need

install the Codecs also. (This is so you don't have to use Cyberlink or
Power DVD)

Also note that if you have Direct CD eg.Drag & Drop installed you need

get rid of it as it causes problems.
Also remove Take Two as it causes problems.

Try searching google "ram driver" the next time before you try to be

funny

Trai'

Old January 27th 04, 02:02 AM
Trai' La Trash

Tom Scales wrote:
What the heck is a ram driver?

Tom DVD uses what's referred to as a RAM driver and CD uses a ROM
driver. If you put a DVD drive in without the RAM drivers it will
only function as as a CD drive.
Also if you prefer to use Windows media player 9 as I do you will
need to install the Codecs also. (This is so you don't have to use
Cyberlink or Power DVD)

Also note that if you have Direct CD eg.Drag & Drop installed you
need to get rid of it as it causes problems.
Also remove Take Two as it causes problems.

Try searching google "ram driver" the next time before you try to be
funny

Trai'

PS Tom I loved your advice telling the poster I was wrong on suggesting
using PC133 instead of PC100 so I threw it in this thread to show people
your are trolling.

Tom Scales wrote: in typical troll fashion
But why? The FSB of this machine is unlikely to be 133, so PC133
would be a waste of money. More memory would be useful, but not
different memory. 64MB is not enough.

Tom

Most people UPGRADE and not downgrade.
PC133 is more common now than PC100 and the memory can be used in the kids
next machine.

Folks keep in mind Tiger is just one site who sells memory and the best deal
I saw when I looked was $19.99 less $20 rebate for PC133 128MB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=504536

Now if you follow Tom's advice at the same site you'll pay $31.99 less $20
rebate for PC100 128MB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=504530

Conclusion: My way you save $12 over Tom's way and have a stick of memory
that is more current and can be used in another machine at a later date.

Folks as you can see by this and past post Tom is my very own TROLL.

Old January 27th 04, 02:30 AM
Tom Scales

The two vendors you mention do make DVD-RAM drives, a technology that is
long outdated and never caught on and is almost impossible to buy. Of
course, for any machine that we're discussing on the Compaq group, they
don't apply as Compaq never installed DVD-RAM drives in a single machine.
They did install DVD-ROM drives, of course, which don't require anything
called a Ram Driver.

You are funny and entertaining. Stupid, but funny and entertaining.

I've been here helping for over 5 years. You haven't been. The regulars are
well aware that I know what I am talking about. Not perfect, but pretty darn
knowledgeable.

RAM drives. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Tom Scales wrote:
What the heck is a ram driver?

Tom DVD uses what's referred to as a RAM driver and CD uses a ROM
driver. If you put a DVD drive in without the RAM drivers it will
only function as as a CD drive.
Also if you prefer to use Windows media player 9 as I do you will
need to install the Codecs also. (This is so you don't have to use
Cyberlink or Power DVD)

Also note that if you have Direct CD eg.Drag & Drop installed you
need to get rid of it as it causes problems.
Also remove Take Two as it causes problems.

Try searching google "ram driver" the next time before you try to be
funny

Trai'

Folks take it for what it's worth no one person knows everything and Tom

is
my resident troll who contradicts every post I make.
Having dealt with Compaq's a good amount of the time I have helped allot

of
you that come here so you can be the judge.
So far from what I have seen the resident troll has only been good in
searching out links on the Compaq support site that can be tricky for a
novice. Although helpful it doesn't always fix the problem. IE: the

touchpad
drivers Tom did not know about and I supplied a link to a driver set that
worked for the end user.

Tom I don't care to teach you the difference between RAM & ROM because you
seem to be a troll and there is no reason to teach you because your not

the
one having the problem. (well, not a driver problem anyhow)

As I told you go to www.google.com and search "DVD RAM DRIVERS" and search
MATSU****A and MITSUMI while your there.

For those of you who need the corect drivers for your cd roms cdrws and

dvd
you should find them all here
http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/
http://members.tripod.com/~DAP1968/dvdramdriverdisc.jpg

Old January 27th 04, 02:32 AM
Tom Scales

Of course, the challenge is that many Compaq PC models will not accept
PC133. They are designed for PC100 and surprisingly won't accept faster
memory even though, in theory, they should. The 5108 is also old enough that
it would likely require single density ram, not double density. I don't
believe PC133 was ever made in single density, but if it is, it is quite
unusual.

But you knew all this since you're an expert in all things Compaq, right?

Old January 27th 04, 03:56 AM
DEJ57

You are funny and entertaining. Stupid, but funny and entertaining.

I've been here helping for over 5 years. You haven't been. The regulars are
well aware that I know what I am talking about. Not perfect, but pretty darn
knowledgeable.

RAM drives. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Tom

It took me a long time to realize that Tom is a very knowledgeable resourse and
is correct about 99% of the time. Tom might not be on my Christmas card list
but I do respect him and his sharing of experience.

From what I've seen you're 0 for 2, Trai--putting your respectability at less
than zero. Correcting posts with bad or incorrect infomation does not make the
poster a troll. We need more Tom's and fewer Trai's.....

Dale
Old January 27th 04, 11:09 AM
Tom Scales

Thank you Dale. I sincerely appreciate your support. This has become a great
newsgroup where people help each other out.

Tom
"DEJ57" wrote in message
You are funny and entertaining. Stupid, but funny and entertaining.

I've been here helping for over 5 years. You haven't been. The regulars

are
well aware that I know what I am talking about. Not perfect, but pretty

darn
knowledgeable.

RAM drives. Ha ha ha ha ha.

Tom

It took me a long time to realize that Tom is a very knowledgeable

resourse and
is correct about 99% of the time. Tom might not be on my Christmas card

list
but I do respect him and his sharing of experience.

From what I've seen you're 0 for 2, Trai--putting your respectability at

less