Creative uses for CD/DVD coasters?

Old November 29th 04, 05:07 PM
Rod Speed

Joel M. Eichen wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote
Ablang wrote

Does anyone have any creative uses for CD/DVD coasters that
result from bad burns, or free AOL/Earthlink/PeopleSoft, etc CDs?

I did read that the shiny reflective underside scares any birds
(or pigeons) because they are scared of their own reflections.

Urban myth. And I dont want to scare them anyway.

Why not?

I quite like them, even tho the big flocks of parrots I get in
my big trees can be amazingly noisy at this time of year.

I get out my Hallowe'en costume around
once a month just to keep them on their toes.

Yeah, I've got some clips of your antics.

With any luck someone will blow you away any day now.

Tad impractical with my very large trees anyway.

What do you do?

Throw them in the garbage.

I hope you don't just throw them in the garbage.

More fool you.

Old November 29th 04, 05:07 PM
John Chewter

Borders
In a teen's bedroom they make a nice substitute for a wallpaper border (it
takes ALOT though). If you don't have that many you could also use them for
a window or mirror border. Put them side by side or overlap them

Candle Display
Use cd's shiny side up to sit small pillar or votive candles on. The
reflection off the cd's is great for centerpieces on buffet tables,
especially during the holidays

CD as template for a circle
when you need a perfect circle for a project and you have two sizes

Christmas Light Reflectors
We use them as reflectors for Christmas lights outside....the c-7 size bulbs
fit thru the opening and then we put the light string on outdoor stakes and
line a sidewalk...looks REALLY cool when it is lightly raining...the clear
colored bulbs work best

Christmas ornament ideas
Using a permanent marking pen, Xmas shaped sponges and\or small simple
stencils, I traced small stockings, bells, trees, stars and snowman on the
shiny side of the cd and then cut them out using a small electric scroll
saw. The key was to go slow. Then I used the dremel to smooth the edges and
punch the holes to slip cord through to hang them. The finishing touch is to
paint the label side with acrylic paint sponged on, or use snow texture
paint, or glue and glitter. The commercial cd's show a pretty silvery color
and writeable cds a lovely gold color. You can personalize the small
ornaments with kids names written with a metallic permanent marker or
acrylic paint. Or string a whole bunch together for a wonderful homemade
garland

Gardens
Run a string through the hole and hang from trees or fences to keep birds
away from garden

Make a clock
buy clockworks at your local craft store, the CD has a readymade hole in the
center

Make bowls
Place in oven on low heat over a metal bowl shape, or heat with a blow
dryer. When softened, they can be bent (gently). Glue to small plates or
seal hole and use for candy dishes, fountain bowls, etc

Mosaic
Break them into small pieces (take your frustrations out on them) and use as
mosaic tiles

Reflectors
Fasten to a wooden stake by pre-drilling and screwing/nailing it to the
wood, shiny side OUT, and use as reflectors along your sidewalk or driveway

"John Chewter" wrote in message
Philosopher's stone. For reflecting on both sides of a problem.

"John Chewter" wrote in message
Shaving mirror for surprised people?

"Joel M. Eichen" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:44:45 +0000 (UTC), "John Chewter"
wrote:

Sequins for giants would be another use?

Or huge sequins for regular sized people ........

"Joel M. Eichen" wrote in message
m...
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:27:12 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Ablang wrote in message
news:t03lq05a9ro34gpkodob0j5pk7st8k0f6p@4ax. com...

Does anyone have any creative uses for CD/DVD coasters that
result from bad burns, or free AOL/Earthlink/PeopleSoft, etc CDs?

I did read that the shiny reflective underside scares any birds
(or pigeons) because they are scared of their own reflections.

Urban myth. And I dont want to scare them anyway.

Why not? I get out my Hallowe'en costume around once a month just to
keep them on their toes.

Joel

Old November 29th 04, 05:52 PM
Joel M. Eichen

Glue them inside traffic lights for when the power goes out.

Old November 29th 04, 06:03 PM
Larc

Use them for skeet shooting!

Either use a device for hurling them into the air or get somebody to
throw them.

WARNING: Doing this inside a city may be frowned upon! ;-)

Larc

Old November 29th 04, 06:06 PM
Joel M. Eichen

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:03:10 GMT, Larc
wrote:

Use them for skeet shooting!

Good one!

Can you bring down the clay pigeons by winging the discs at them?

Joel

Old November 29th 04, 06:24 PM
Adenosine

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:24:13 -0500, Joel M. Eichen
wrote:

Ornaments for very strong tree .........

Welcome to 10 years ago, 101 things to do with AOL Disks.

--
Adenosine
Semi-informed Dental Consumer ?
Old November 29th 04, 08:40 PM
T Shadow

Shoot discs with bird shot at a distance to damage them but not fragment
them.
Shoot disc drive with rifle/pistol, of your chosen caliber.
Bring them back home and set them in front of your new equipment as an
example of what happens for bad performance. :Qb

Old November 29th 04, 10:12 PM
Joel M. Eichen

wrote:

Ornaments for very strong tree .........

Welcome to 10 years ago, 101 things to do with AOL Disks.

Ten years ago they were 3 and 1/4.

I grabbed all I could and simply did DEL *.*

Joel

Old November 29th 04, 10:22 PM
Jesse

smh wrote in :

. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Jesse (Dog Dick Sucker) slurped:

Don't hate me because I suck dog dick, Asshole !
Next time I **** my ****ing dog I'm going to pretend its you Asshole !

Reduced to sucking dog dick because your mother no longer loves you in a
special way any more?

btw, do you think you can tear yourself away from sucking dog dick and
prove ANY of the following is a LIBEL, Dog Dick Sucker?

1) Your obcession with animal sex/family sex isn't amusing anymore.
2) You couldn't hold up Mike Richter's jock strap, even with help from your
mutant gorilla mother.
He has forgotten more than you'll ever know, and thats why your so jealous.

My suggestion for fried CD's is by far the best, most creative and funnest.

Old November 29th 04, 11:18 PM
Neil Maxwell

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:41:36 -0800, Ablang
wrote:

Does anyone have any creative uses for CD/DVD coasters that result
from bad burns, or free AOL/Earthlink/PeopleSoft, etc CDs?

I use them as targets for airsoft and bb/pellet guns. Even low-power
airsoft will fracture them and eventually break them (not DVDs,
though), and bb guns hole them quite nicely, with fascinating
reflected shockwave patterns in the delaminating layers on the
opposite half of the disc if you stack a few up. Does a nice job at
making the data unreadable, to boot. They're a bit of a pain to clean
up afterward, though, unless you have them mounted against a towel or
three in the back of a box.

Alternately, you can glue then in layers to your car like fish scales.
It's quite an attractive effect, particularly if you're on your way to
Burning Man.
http://pic.templetons.com/cgi-bin/im...s/img_9691.jpg