TIP - Look our for PIO

Old July 13th 04, 09:23 PM
Gerry_uk

Default TIP - Look our for PIO

Hi,

I got caught out by this recently. After years of using SCSI, I didn't
realize there's a serious problem with the newer Plextor CD-RW drives
setting themselves to PIO mode in Windows 2000.

My burner was writing fine, but the read speed did not seem right, then
I noticed the IDE controller was set to PIO. After setting to DMA both
reading and writing were much improved with close to zero CPU.

This was on my home PC, but when I got to work, I notticed ALL our
burners on all our PCs were also set to PIO mode - this was all brand
new kit and the drives had only just been isntalled through PnP.

So it seems connecting a recent Plextor model to Win2k will DEFAULT to PIO??

--
Gerry_uk