Packet writing - how safe is it?

Old November 14th 03, 07:52 PM
Si

Default Packet writing - how safe is it?

What is the possibility that I will experience data loss using packet
writing software?

Si.

Old November 14th 03, 08:12 PM
Tim Kroesen

99.9% possibility; eventually...g

Seriously; using top quality media your drive was designed around you
will have a lower possibility...G

Tim K

Old November 15th 03, 12:01 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
( Reduced to living off the trash? )
( ... my thanks to Tim ... )

Timmy Kroesen ("Net-Trash") wrote:

"Si" wrote...
What is the possibility that I will experience data loss using packet
writing software?

99.9% possibility; eventually...g

Seriously; using top quality media your drive was designed around you
will have a lower possibility...G

[ g, G - Idiot's perpetual silly grin ]

Don't you believe Mikey's words, Timmy?

=======================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Subject: A note on Take Two
Date: 9/1/99

For Take Two to work ideally, your drive must support
packet writing and you must have DCD installed...to do it.

You may back up ... to a DCD-formatted erasable.
=======================

Imagine for Take Two, supposedly a backup software, to work "ideally",
it must use supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile, faulty, unreliable
packet writing format!

Moreover, the supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile, faulty, unreliable
packet writing format was good enough for BACKUP, even when combined
with supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile, forgetful, unreliable cd-rw
media!

Don't you believe Mikey's words, Timmy?
Old November 15th 03, 12:02 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have examples of misquotes! )

Si wrote:
What is the possibility that I will experience data loss using packet
writing software?

If you use DirectCD (or Drag-to-Disc), that's a certainty according to
none other than a cRoxio Shill.

===============================
From: "BrianT"
Subject: Loosing Disk Space {formatting CDRW}
Date: 5/8/03

Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill) wrote...

BrianT wrote:

When I re-format a CDRW with Drag to Disk Full Format {EasyCD
6}, the space available after format drops by between 150 and
200 Mgs and I cannot get it back. A full format on a new CDRW
is OK. This never happened with EasyCD 5.

The space you are losing is due to sectors found to be unreliable.
It's a good sign that the disc is developing errors and is ready
for the trash. You'll also find that formatting gets slower; it
takes time to retry verification and to mark the bad sectors.

If you insist on using fixed-length packets, you ask for that
as well as losing data.

Mmm, but if I format a brand new CDRW I get the full monty then if I
immediately re-format, quick or full, I loose 150Mg. Surly CDRW's
don't develop errors after 5 minutes?

Also from your statement

"If you insist on using fixed-length packets,
you ask for that as well as losing data"

are you suggesting that the Drag and Drop part of Easy CD is
unreliable and should not be used ?
===============================
Old November 15th 03, 12:32 AM
Si

"smh" wrote in message
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Plonk!

Old November 15th 03, 02:47 AM
smh

Si wrote:

What is the possibility that I will experience data loss using packet
writing software?

The history of packet writing and cdrw media in these cdr groups:

When Mikey was shilling for Take Two, the supposedly *inherently* flaky,
fragile, faulty, unreliable packet writing format was good enough for
BACKUP, of all things, even when combined with supposedly *inherently*
flaky, fragile, forgetful, unreliable cd-rw media:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Date: 9/1/99

You may back up ...to a DCD-formatted erasable.
=====================

But then when the reports of DirectCD bugs started pouring in, the SAME
combination of packet writing format and cd-rw media -- that was good
enough for BACKUP -- became LETHAL for archiving:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Subject: File Integrity Errors - DirectCD Bug?
Date: 10/15/01

Combining the flaky UDF fixed-length packets with
the tendency of erasables (particularly HS) to forget
is LETHAL for archiving.
=====================

--------------------------------------
Old November 15th 03, 03:18 AM
smh

Si wrote:

What is the possibility that I will experience data loss using packet
writing software?

Just avoid DirectCD (or Drag-to-Disc). Why, DirectCD is rejected even
by none other than a cRoxio Shill:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Date: 8/19/02

I have used only DCD for packet writing,
have had no problems due to the software -
but too many due to the format itself

to bother with it any longer.

=====================
From: Mike Richter (cRoxio Shill)
Date: 6/17/02

uninstalled DCD
when I stopped testing for Roxio
=====================

The above Mikey's statement is the first ever case in which a Shill is
rejecting the very product IT is shilling for.

With a Shill like this, cRoxio doesn't need any critics!

--------------------------
cRoxio, Eat Your Heart Out !!!
--------------------------
Old November 15th 03, 04:09 AM
Robert Hancock

I would say it's a distinct possibility - therefore I would only use it as a
convenient way of transferring files, for example, and not for storing files
which are not duplicated anywhere else.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Old November 15th 03, 07:45 AM
Mike Richter

Si wrote:
What is the possibility that I will experience data loss using packet
writing software?

Variable-length packets (write-once): about the same as odds for mastering.

Fixed-length packets (erasable): you will lose data, sooner rather than
later.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old November 15th 03, 08:51 AM
smh

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:

Fixed-length packets (erasable): you will lose data, sooner rather than
later.

Why didn't you respond to this one, Mikey?
=============================
From: "Folkert Rienstra"
Date: 8/30/01

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:
:
: I also use CD-RWs to do "temporary backups" for important programs.
:
: All fine - until the disc suddenly becomes unreadable.
: That happens with erasables, especially if you write packets.

Oh? How's that?
=============================

But responded to the "sarcastic" bit, Mikey?
=============================
From: "Folkert Rienstra"
Date: 8/31/01

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:
:
: Folkert Rienstra wrote:
:
: : Would anyone here like to provide information on when/how
: : fixed-length packet discs fail?
:
: Duh! Because they are 'fixed'. Everything that needs 'fixing' is
: flawed.
:
: No, fixed means immovable. The fastest ship in the world is fixed:
: it's made of concrete and fast in the bed of Galveston Bay.
:
: Now, go lose your data with fixed-length packets. You've earned it.

Typical Mike Richter:

Does not answer the only real question (about how packet writing would
wear out a CD-RW earlier than authoring) but responds to the sarcastic
bit that was in reference to his troll.

Because you were caught out again, isn't it, Mike.
Because you were caught trolling, again, like so many times.