burning noisy CD

Old March 8th 07, 08:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Brendan R. Wehrung

Default burning noisy CD

I had an odd occurance tonight, I burned a CD that's all noisy. It
happened twice. The media is rather old and Nero says it is burning at
only 16X.

Could it be that the (Samsung built) HP burner in my computer has problems
with media that's too slow?

The blanks worked OK with my last computer (3 years old) which also had an
"HP" combo burner.

Brendan

Old March 8th 07, 04:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Seth Goodman

In article , on 8 Mar 2007 07:09:03 GMT,
Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

I had an odd occurance tonight, I burned a CD that's all noisy. It
happened twice. The media is rather old and Nero says it is burning at
only 16X.

Could it be that the (Samsung built) HP burner in my computer has problems
with media that's too slow?

The blanks worked OK with my last computer (3 years old) which also had an
"HP" combo burner.

Brendan

How old is old? Unrecorded CD-R media have a shelf-life estimated at 5 -
10 years. Is this disc close to that?

--
Seth Goodman
Old March 9th 07, 08:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Brendan R. Wehrung

Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

I had an odd occurance tonight, I burned a CD that's all noisy. It
happened twice. The media is rather old and Nero says it is burning at
only 16X.

Could it be that the (Samsung built) HP burner in my computer has problems
with media that's too slow?

The blanks worked OK with my last computer (3 years old) which also had an
"HP" combo burner.

Brendan

How old is old? Unrecorded CD-R media have a shelf-life estimated at 5 -
10 years. Is this disc close to that?

--
Seth Goodman

Probably 5. My guess (which I hoped might be talked about) is that I've
finally bought a burner that can't handle older, slower media. I used one
of these discs before I switched to my new computer last December and it
burned fine, then (on the older burner).

Brendan

Old March 9th 07, 01:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Seth Goodman

In article , on 9 Mar 2007 07:26:53 GMT,
Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

Probably 5. My guess (which I hoped might be talked about) is that I've
finally bought a burner that can't handle older, slower media. I used one
of these discs before I switched to my new computer last December and it
burned fine, then (on the older burner).

I doubt you've bought a burner that can't handle slower media - slower
media are *less* demanding than faster media. One generalization - CD
burners do a better job burning CDs than DVD burners. Is your new
burner really a DVD burner?

Why don't you give us some specifics - please post *exactly* what your
burner is, and *exactly* what media seems to be failing.

--
Seth Goodman
Old March 9th 07, 01:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Seth Goodman

Sorry for following up to myself. Haven't had my coffee yet. ;-)

Two suggestions:

1) Have you checked that you've got the latest firmware for your burner?
You might have discovered a problem they've already fixed.

2) Try Googling for your burner both under its HP model designation, and
its Samsung model designation, for any discussions of problems.

--
Seth Goodman
Old March 10th 07, 06:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Brendan R. Wehrung

Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

Probably 5. My guess (which I hoped might be talked about) is that I've
finally bought a burner that can't handle older, slower media. I used one
of these discs before I switched to my new computer last December and it
burned fine, then (on the older burner).

I doubt you've bought a burner that can't handle slower media - slower
media are *less* demanding than faster media. One generalization - CD
burners do a better job burning CDs than DVD burners. Is your new
burner really a DVD burner?

Why don't you give us some specifics - please post *exactly* what your
burner is, and *exactly* what media seems to be failing.

--
Seth Goodman

Its an HP TSSTcorp TS-H653L and the failed media (static in loud passages)
was branded Prime Peripherals, presumably 16X max. I'm told Samsung makes
the drive for HP. These discs burned correctly on my former HP DVDwriter
300c (both DVD/CD combos) and a Philips burner in my even older Win '98
computer. (I tend to keep them for what I might have left on the hard
drive.)

Other cheap branded media (eg AT&T and another I don't have the label for any
more) which burn at 40X work fine.

Brendan
Old March 10th 07, 06:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Brendan R. Wehrung

Seth Goodman ) writes:
Sorry for following up to myself. Haven't had my coffee yet. ;-)

Two suggestions:

1) Have you checked that you've got the latest firmware for your burner?
You might have discovered a problem they've already fixed.

2) Try Googling for your burner both under its HP model designation, and
its Samsung model designation, for any discussions of problems.

--
Seth Goodman

The computer was purchased at the end of December and I think built within
the last 6 months. Models don't last long any more. Could firmware
already be out of date?

Brendan
Old March 10th 07, 07:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Seth Goodman

In article , on 10 Mar 2007 05:44:53 GMT,
Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

Its an HP TSSTcorp TS-H653L and the failed media (static in loud passages)
was branded Prime Peripherals, presumably 16X max

A little Googling indicates the following:

Your drive is a Samsung Drive - the SH-S183L.

Prime Peripherals CD-Rs of about five years ago were probably made by
Postech, which is currently banned from selling CD-Rs, due to licensing
violations.

Samsung's list of recommended CD-R media for that drive:
Taiyo-Yuden, RICOH, MKM, Hitachi, Maxell, Fuji Film, RiTEK(Phtharo),
CMC, Pioneer, Princo, TDK.

To oversimplify a bit - your new drive doesn't have a writing strategy
for your Prime Peripherals CD-Rs, so it's guessing. Apparently, it's
guessing wrong. It's not a speed issue - it's a media compatibility
issue.

--
Seth Goodman
Old March 11th 07, 06:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Brendan R. Wehrung

Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:

Its an HP TSSTcorp TS-H653L and the failed media (static in loud passages)
was branded Prime Peripherals, presumably 16X max

A little Googling indicates the following:

Your drive is a Samsung Drive - the SH-S183L.

Prime Peripherals CD-Rs of about five years ago were probably made by
Postech, which is currently banned from selling CD-Rs, due to licensing
violations.

Samsung's list of recommended CD-R media for that drive:
Taiyo-Yuden, RICOH, MKM, Hitachi, Maxell, Fuji Film, RiTEK(Phtharo),
CMC, Pioneer, Princo, TDK.

To oversimplify a bit - your new drive doesn't have a writing strategy
for your Prime Peripherals CD-Rs, so it's guessing. Apparently, it's
guessing wrong. It's not a speed issue - it's a media compatibility
issue.

--
Seth Goodman

Thank you. Exactly what I needed to understand.

Brendan

Noisy CPU fan goo_lu1 General 87 January 24th 06 07:09 PM
Noisy CPU fan goo_lu1 Asus Motherboards 22 January 20th 06 12:07 AM
Noisy PC John Smith General 5 July 4th 05 05:57 PM
noisy fan Nusat General 0 August 2nd 04 08:45 PM
Noisy PC kony General 4 August 1st 04 07:55 PM