Do zip disks get corrupted like floppy disks?

Old September 22nd 06, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Chris Tsao

Default Do zip disks get corrupted like floppy disks?

Do you know if zip disks can be corrupted like floppy disks do? I once
erased a floppy drive by hitting the Save button. I meant to save what
I had just finished typing, instead, I inadvertantly erased a huge
chunch of my document. So I am wondering if this happens to people who
use zip disks?

Old September 22nd 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Chris Tsao

Chris Tsao wrote:

a huge

correction: chunk

Old September 22nd 06, 03:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Chris Tsao wrote:
Do you know if zip disks can be corrupted like floppy disks do? I once
erased a floppy drive by hitting the Save button. I meant to save what
I had just finished typing, instead, I inadvertantly erased a huge
chunch of my document. So I am wondering if this happens to people who
use zip disks?

It can happen with any media, Zips are more reliable and less vunerable
than floppies, but not immune to User Error, or just plain media
failure. Also, if you Bulk Erase a zip, you CANNOT recover the media
(IOMEGA can, they have equipment). I tried.

Old September 22nd 06, 07:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
johns

Chris Tsao wrote:
Do you know if zip disks can be corrupted like floppy disks do?

Zip disks are far worse for that than floppies. Some brands
with some drivers actually require you to have a different
name for each disk, or if you are working on one disk, and
for some reason insert another disk, the fat from the first
disk will do a delayed write over the fat on the 2nd disk,
and your files are gone. Zip technology is a dead duck,
and good riddance.

johns

Old September 22nd 06, 07:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
visions of effty

"johns" wrote in message
ups.com...

Chris Tsao wrote:
Do you know if zip disks can be corrupted like floppy disks do?

Zip disks are far worse for that than floppies. Some brands
with some drivers actually require you to have a different
name for each disk, or if you are working on one disk, and
for some reason insert another disk, the fat from the first
disk will do a delayed write over the fat on the 2nd disk,
and your files are gone. Zip technology is a dead duck,
and good riddance.

johns

Amen. One of the worst storage systems ever.

You could also get this great error where after you hit eject, the disk
continues to spin, and spin and click. For no reason. Ugh. Failure to
mount. Failure to eject. Ugh. UGH!

Saving anything important on a zip disk is like asking for a huge headache.

~e.

Old September 23rd 06, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Plato

Chris Tsao wrote:

Do you know if zip disks can be corrupted like floppy disks do? I once
erased a floppy drive by hitting the Save button. I meant to save what

zip disks ARE floppy disks, so yeah, they are just as bad as 1.44s.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Old September 23rd 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Roby

visions of effty wrote:

Amen. One of the worst storage systems ever.

You could also get this great error where after you hit eject, the disk
continues to spin, and spin and click. For no reason. Ugh. Failure to
mount. Failure to eject. Ugh. UGH!

Saving anything important on a zip disk is like asking for a huge
headache.

~e.

Not always. In 1996, I bought a parallel-port Zip drive (the only flavor
available back then) for data backup on a small business network. They
do daily backups to seven disks in rotation. Ten YEARS later, they're
still using the same seven disks with the same drive! It has worked
perfectly. I've replaced two network cards, one hard drive, two
printers and a CDROM at the same site during this time.

I bought a parallel-port drive at the same time, use it occasionally.
Also have 4 internal ATAPI Zip drives. No problems with any of them.

Roby
Old October 10th 06, 01:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mitochondrion

Zip-Disks like any other magnetic media ARE vulnerable to EMI Fields,
just like their floppy counterparts, the difference with Zip-Disks is
that they have more extensive CRC checking and zip recovery records so
they are recoverable most of the time from small errors...User Error
however can only be stopped by BEING CAREFUL

Old October 13th 06, 05:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Chris Tsao

Mitochondrion wrote:
Zip-Disks like any other magnetic media ARE vulnerable to EMI Fields,
just like their floppy counterparts, the difference with Zip-Disks is
that they have more extensive CRC checking and zip recovery records so
they are recoverable most of the time from small errors...User Error
however can only be stopped by BEING CAREFUL

I got an external A drive last week and I only use it for files that
won't be the end of the world if I lose.

I am working on something that could possibly be a tad lucrative that I
don't want stolen by hackers, so I save it in Works on my hard drive
and then to CD's and then immediately delete it so it goes to the
Recycle Bin. Then, I immediately erase it with Drive Erase Pro data
destruction software I bought a few days after I started this thread. I
erase it with 15 passes.

Is there any way that hackers could *still* recover what I erased. I
would simply buy a cheap laptop that's not hooked up to the internet
and make life easier. I don't have a job so this would be splurging for
me. Maybe if hackers can steal my project I'm working on, I should use
Christmas and birthday money to buy a cheap laptop and pay for part of
it in monthly installments?

If anyone can recover my files, I am hoping that they would have to
physically get a hold of my computer and that they can't do it online.
Like didn't the cops come to Pete Townsend's house to confiscate his
computer? If yes, this must be because they couldn't retrieve deteleted
files and stuff online?