adding memory to compaq question.

Old July 1st 06, 08:01 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.comp.hardware
anthead

Default adding memory to compaq question.

I have an old compaq presario 5220.

I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Old July 1st 06, 08:13 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.comp.hardware
pen

"anthead" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have an old compaq presario 5220.

I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots with a
max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for $30 each.
You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

Old July 1st 06, 09:02 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.comp.hardware
RSF Group

pen wrote:
"anthead" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have an old compaq presario 5220.

I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots with a
max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for $30 each.
You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

Thanks. Do you know any sites that give instruction on installing?

Old July 1st 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.comp.hardware
pen

"RSF Group" wrote in message
oups.com...

pen wrote:
oups.com...

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...5220&submit=Go

Old July 1st 06, 09:30 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.comp.hardware
Paul

In article .com, "RSF
Group" wrote:

pen wrote:
"anthead" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have an old compaq presario 5220.

I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots with a
max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for $30 each.
You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

Thanks. Do you know any sites that give instruction on installing?

Click "Install Guide" on this page:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...5220&submit=Go

Where it says "Turn off the computer, monitor, and all accessories
(printer, speakers, etc.)", that means turn off the switch on
the back of the computer. The purpose of doing that, is to
make sure that the +5VSB power supply is turned off. Some
motherboards have a green LED, and the LED is powered by
+5VSB. If you see a green LED glowing, it means the power
is not turned off.

If you are not sure how to turn off the power completely,
unplugging the computer will also achieve the same result.
The reason Crucial wanted the cord to remain connected,
is the ground wire of the AC cord, helps provide a path
for static discharge, and you are more likely to brush
against your computer case and discharge any static
electricity, into the computer case and into the ground
wire. If you touch the computer case, before you
touch any components inside the computer, that brings
the static level of you and the computer, to the same
level.

Try to handle the modules by the edges. At the very
least, keep your fingerprints off the gold contacts.
The salt in your fingerprints, can affect the metals
underneath the gold plating finish. The gold plating
is very thin.

Make sure any notches in the module (in the middle of
the gold fingers), line up with the plastic key in
the DIMM slot on the motherboard. Since it takes a bit
of force to seat the memory module, you want to make
sure you're inserting the memory the right-way-round.
There are two ways to insert the memory, one way being
a 180 degree rotation of the correct way, and if the
notch doesn't line up with the key, it will never snap
into place. Of course, the gold fingers mate with the
socket, so no, don't turn it upside down and tell me
there are even more ways to plug it in :-)

Paul
Old July 2nd 06, 08:57 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Paul wrote:

There are two ways to insert the memory, one way being
a 180 degree rotation of the correct way, and if the
notch doesn't line up with the key, it will never snap
into place. Of course, the gold fingers mate with the
socket, so no, don't turn it upside down and tell me
there are even more ways to plug it in :-)

Paul

lol. I bet someone's done it somewhere.

NT

Old July 2nd 06, 09:00 AM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

pen wrote:
"anthead" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have an old compaq presario 5220.

I have 63 MB of physical memory or disk space. I need to add up to 256
MB, or at least up to 128 MB. How do add more RAM to my computer? Can
Presario 5220 take up to 256 MB of space?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

The 5220 can utilize up to 384MB of memory. It has 3 DIMM slots with a
max of a 128MB 100 MHz DIMM in each. Crucial sells them for $30 each.
You could buy 2, leave in the 64 MB one and have 320 MB.

You'd probably be best to use 2x 128s and leave the 64 stick out. Using
a 3rd ram stick creates a high incidence of problems. Many 3 and 4 slot
mobos dont really support use of more than 2 sticks, and with the ones
that do you'll get a lower RAM speed rating with 3 sticks. Presumably
you want PC100 SDRAM.

NT

Question about Dual Channel Memory Brian K Homebuilt PC's 4 June 30th 06 07:06 AM
fsb speed - why does it matter? James Hanley Overclocking 52 November 7th 04 01:04 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
The Technology of PS3 subsystem General 31 November 22nd 03 04:05 AM