Anything you can spray on a "normal" cd to allow inkjet printing?

Old December 21st 05, 08:20 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.printers

Default Anything you can spray on a "normal" cd to allow inkjet printing?

Peter Larsen wrote in
:

Must be flexo techique, a coating that dries up to a water friendly
surface is not likely to be printable by a lithographic techique and the
required coating thickness also suggests it

Likely screen brinting, but I can see flexo being used (If It is what I
think it is).
Old December 21st 05, 08:55 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.printers

Gary Tait wrote:

Peter Larsen wrote in
:

Must be flexo techique, a coating that dries up to a water
friendly surface is not likely to be printable by a
lithographic techique and the required coating thickness
also suggests it

Likely screen printing, but I can see flexo being used
(If It is what I think it is).

Kinda like using a rubber stamp, is used for plastic bags and can also
be used for printing on non-flat objects. I do not know it for a fact,
but it might allow a shorter duty cycle, ototh screen printing as you
suggest is eminent for the layer-thickness involved.

Kind regards & Seasons Greetings

Peter Larsen

Old December 21st 05, 09:14 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.printers

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:

I suspect that commercial CDs receive their printable coatings
via offset printing or something like it.

Must be flexo techique, a coating that dries up to a water friendly
surface is not likely to be printable by a lithographic techique and the
required coating thickness also suggests it.

A cheap-but-dirty way to evenly distribute coatings on CDs is to spin
them
around a precise axis. I did say dirty, right? ;-)

Just like at the carnival, I was thinking that too. Probably not a bad idea
as long as you shield everything from the paint splatter.

Old December 21st 05, 09:58 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.printers

Bill Quinn wrote:

A cheap-but-dirty way to evenly distribute coatings on CDs is to spin
them
around a precise axis. I did say dirty, right? ;-)

Just like at the carnival, I was thinking that too. Probably not a bad idea
as long as you shield everything from the paint splatter.

It might be kind of artistic to print on a non-printable disk, then
spin it up and let the lettering spread out. Each one would be a little
different.

Old December 21st 05, 10:06 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.printers

"Michael Wozniak" wrote in message
nk.net...

Doc wrote:

I'll report back when I try burning something onto it.

Guys, guys, guys! Burn FIRST, print second.......!

That's why I printed first, seemed like it would be a litmus test as to
whether it effected the disc adversely. My understanding is the burn process
is less forgiving than the read process.

the overspray issue, I had the entire disc flat on a piece of paper and
only applied in light mist coats. No overspray visible on the business side
of the disc.

Anyway, the burn seems to have gone fine.

Old December 21st 05, 10:22 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.printers

"Doc" wrote in message
ink.net...
Since posting this I tried matte-white spray paint shot in several mist
coats from about 1 foot above the disc. The column of paint by the time it
hits the disc is a bit larger than the disc and thereby seems to give even
coverage. My guess is it won't affect the balance.

I just hope it doesn't come off in your drive.

Old December 21st 05, 10:56 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.printers

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:55:19 +0100, Peter Larsen
wrote in
:

Gary Tait wrote:

Peter Larsen wrote in
:

Must be flexo techique, a coating that dries up to a water
friendly surface is not likely to be printable by a
lithographic techique and the required coating thickness
also suggests it

Likely screen printing, but I can see flexo being used
(If It is what I think it is).

Kinda like using a rubber stamp, is used for plastic bags and can also
be used for printing on non-flat objects. I do not know it for a fact,
but it might allow a shorter duty cycle, ototh screen printing as you
suggest is eminent for the layer-thickness involved.

Flexographic inks are alcohol based, IIRC. Might that damage the
substrate?

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... It is better to be looked over than overlooked.
Old December 21st 05, 11:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.printers

On 21 Dec 2005 13:58:04 -0800, Mike Rivers wrote in
oups.com:

Bill Quinn wrote:

A cheap-but-dirty way to evenly distribute coatings on CDs is to spin
them
around a precise axis. I did say dirty, right? ;-)

Just like at the carnival, I was thinking that too. Probably not a bad idea
as long as you shield everything from the paint splatter.

It might be kind of artistic to print on a non-printable disk, then
spin it up and let the lettering spread out. Each one would be a little
different.

....but is it art? :-)

Also, think "balance". The thought of the potential for damage of an
out-of-balance disk disintegrating whilst rotating at 52x is kinda scary!

--
Regards,
Nicolaas.

.... There's always a lot to be thankful for if you take time to look for
it. For example, right now I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that
wrinkles don't hurt.
Old December 22nd 05, 12:37 AM posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.printers

"CWatters" wrote in message

"Doc" wrote in message
ink.net...
Since posting this I tried matte-white spray paint shot in several mist
coats from about 1 foot above the disc. The column of paint by the time

it
hits the disc is a bit larger than the disc and thereby seems to give

even
coverage. My guess is it won't affect the balance.

I just hope it doesn't come off in your drive.

Me too. ;-)

But I can't imagine why it would. It's paint, as such it sticks like...um,
paint. I'm betting my DVD drive that it's far less likely to dislodge than
a sticky back label. I even gave a small portion of it a fingernail scratch
test. It's on there good. It's going to be subjected to little or no UV
light, so I don't expect it to experience any significant degredation which
I don't think you can say of a sticky label. Given enough time, the adhesive
on those things is sure to deteriorate if sticky-backed labels on other
things I run across from years gone by are any indication.

If any of this proves to be wrong, I'll let ya'll know.

Old December 22nd 05, 12:57 AM posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.periphs.printers

Since posting this I tried matte-white spray paint shot in several mist
coats from about 1 foot above the disc. The column of paint by the time it
hits the disc is a bit larger than the disc and thereby seems to give even
coverage. My guess is it won't affect the balance.

The mass of the paint is so small...

Haven't you seen the Mythbusters episode in which they spin CDs on a
high-speed drill? You have to reach thousands of RPMs before a normal
(uncracked) disk breaks.