Running a M7NCD Motherboard with 400 FSB

Old September 29th 04, 03:24 AM
Krutibas Biswal

Default Running a M7NCD Motherboard with 400 FSB

Hi,
I got a Biostar M7NCD motherboard that says it can support 400Mhz FSB.
I bought a new AMD 3200 XP+, 400FSB CPU and 512MB PC3200 Memory to go with
it. I wanted to run it with FSB speed of 400Mhz.

The default BIOS setup is for 200Mhz FSB and the BIOS menu does not let
me change it to anything higher that 200Mhz FSB.

What can I do to get it run at a higher FSB ? I did not see anything
in the motherboard manuals. Please help.

Thanks,
Krutibas
Old September 29th 04, 01:47 PM
Dalgibbard

I have that same board- and that same problem! I pretty much gave up-
decided that its just bluffing pmsl- you could try asking Biostar
themselves? www.biostar.co.tw i think- please post back with any information

Yours,
Dalgibbard.

om...

Old September 29th 04, 04:42 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:47:12 +0000, Dalgibbard wrote:

"Krutibas Biswal" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I got a Biostar M7NCD motherboard that says it can support 400Mhz FSB.
I bought a new AMD 3200 XP+, 400FSB CPU and 512MB PC3200 Memory to go with
it. I wanted to run it with FSB speed of 400Mhz.

The default BIOS setup is for 200Mhz FSB and the BIOS menu does not let
me change it to anything higher that 200Mhz FSB.

What can I do to get it run at a higher FSB ? I did not see anything
in the motherboard manuals. Please help.

I have that same board- and that same problem! I pretty much gave up-
decided that its just bluffing pmsl- you could try asking Biostar
themselves? www.biostar.co.tw i think- please post back with any information

You don't have a problem. Your board supports a 400FSB (200MHz), not a
400MHz FSB. There aren't any boards that support a 400MHz FSB, and the
3200+ runs on a 200MHz FSB (real clock speed).

Old September 30th 04, 12:04 AM
Krutibas Biswal

Thanks Wes. I realized that last night while trying to play with
the FSB numbers and reading stuff from the web. The 400FSB is
a marketing hype that refers to FSB speed of 200Mhz DDR.

Thanks,
Krutibas

Old September 30th 04, 01:38 AM
David Maynard

Krutibas Biswal wrote:

Thanks Wes. I realized that last night while trying to play with
the FSB numbers and reading stuff from the web. The 400FSB is
a marketing hype that refers to FSB speed of 200Mhz DDR.

No, it is not "marketing hype." It's the data rate which, for DDR, is
400MHz on a 200MHz clocked bus because the data rate is twice the clock rate.

That IS why it's called "Double Rata Rate" (DDR).

Thanks,
Krutibas
Wes Newell wrote in message news:pan.2004.09.29.15.42.08.590095@TAKEOUTverizo n.net...

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:47:12 +0000, Dalgibbard wrote:

e.com...

Old September 30th 04, 07:38 AM
Michael Brown

David Maynard wrote:
Krutibas Biswal wrote:

Thanks Wes. I realized that last night while trying to play with
the FSB numbers and reading stuff from the web. The 400FSB is
a marketing hype that refers to FSB speed of 200Mhz DDR.

No, it is not "marketing hype." It's the data rate which, for DDR, is
400MHz on a 200MHz clocked bus because the data rate is twice the
clock rate.

Oh dear, here we go again ... anyone taking bets on how many posts this
thread will finish up on?

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old September 30th 04, 09:43 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:38:00 -0500, David Maynard wrote:

Krutibas Biswal wrote:

Thanks Wes. I realized that last night while trying to play with
the FSB numbers and reading stuff from the web. The 400FSB is
a marketing hype that refers to FSB speed of 200Mhz DDR.

No, it is not "marketing hype." It's the data rate which, for DDR, is
400MHz on a 200MHz clocked bus because the data rate is twice the clock rate.

That IS why it's called "Double Rata Rate" (DDR).

Data rates are measured in throughput, not MHz. Data rates deserve and do
have their own measuring systems, actually there's two, bps and Bps, and
it's not MHz. So if you don't want to call it marketing hype, what would
you call it? The inflated number serves absolutely no purpose except to
get a bigger number. How about marketing BS or just plain BS.:-)

Now before you reply, consider that by definition, bus speeds are
measured by their clock speeds, not data rates. If one wants to define the
data rate, a simple 200MHz DDR says it's Double Data rate. Still it's
rather worthless information unless one knows the number of data lines and
does the math to figure out the actual bandwidth of the bus. So being
worthless, what purpose other than marketing does it serve?

Old September 30th 04, 09:44 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:38:37 +1200, Michael Brown wrote:

David Maynard wrote:
Krutibas Biswal wrote:

Thanks Wes. I realized that last night while trying to play with
the FSB numbers and reading stuff from the web. The 400FSB is
a marketing hype that refers to FSB speed of 200Mhz DDR.

No, it is not "marketing hype." It's the data rate which, for DDR, is
400MHz on a 200MHz clocked bus because the data rate is twice the
clock rate.

Oh dear, here we go again ... anyone taking bets on how many posts this
thread will finish up on?

[...]

As many as it takes.;-)

Old October 1st 04, 12:42 AM
David Maynard

Krutibas Biswal wrote:

Thanks Wes. I realized that last night while trying to play with
the FSB numbers and reading stuff from the web. The 400FSB is
a marketing hype that refers to FSB speed of 200Mhz DDR.

No, it is not "marketing hype." It's the data rate which, for DDR, is
400MHz on a 200MHz clocked bus because the data rate is twice the clock rate.

That IS why it's called "Double Rata Rate" (DDR).

Data rates are measured in throughput, not MHz.

Clearly an opinion of yours that is not shared by the vast majority of
memory, processor, and motherboard manufacturers.

You seem to be under the false impression that the only thing 'Hz' applies
to is an electronic wave form.

Data rates deserve and do
have their own measuring systems, actually there's two, bps and Bps, and
it's not MHz.

Obviously, by overwhelming usage it is as well.

So if you don't want to call it marketing hype, what would
you call it?

The data rate on the bus.

Which, I would argue, is rather intuitive from "double data rate."

The inflated number serves absolutely no purpose except to
get a bigger number. How about marketing BS or just plain BS.:-)

The apparent conclusion from that declaration would be that you don't
understand the meaning of double data rate, or quad pumped, since you see
'no purpose' to it.

Now before you reply, consider that by definition, bus speeds are
measured by their clock speeds, not data rates.

Any by who's definition would that be?

Not to mention you, yourself, claim that kind of 'definition' is
'worthless' in the very next two sentences.

If one wants to define the
data rate, a simple 200MHz DDR says it's Double Data rate. Still it's
rather worthless information unless one knows the number of data lines and
does the math to figure out the actual bandwidth of the bus.

You might as well be arguing that clock speed is worthless information
since it shares exactly the same lack of detail. And, if you are, then your
'complaint' goes to the first days of computer technology; not 'DDR'
terminology.

Your argument boils down to the logic absurdum of saying "200 x 2" has
meaning but that the result of the equation "400" does not.

So being
worthless, what purpose other than marketing does it serve?

It's only worthless to those who don't know the meaning and instead insist
on claiming it's 'marketing hype'.

The fact of the matter is it's a logical, natural progression of, and the
most consistent with, typical industry terminology.

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum Error kony General 6 October 18th 04 05:38 AM
Motherboard for P4. MS Overclocking 80 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 11:51 AM
Biostar M7NCD Motherboard Dan Rather General 3 November 28th 03 03:48 AM
I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 02:40 AM