Maxtor Hard Drive Failures

Old September 21st 05, 05:20 PM
Maxtor40

Default Maxtor Hard Drive Failures

Having had crashes in the past, I was happy to see a site go up taking
a survey of Maxtor hard drive failures.

They will contact you with the final results if you provide contact
info. It might be interesting to see how many had issues with warranty
replacements.

The website is at http://www.maxtorsurvey.envy.nu/

Max

Old October 10th 05, 01:32 AM
helpdisc

Maxtor hdds have common problems fixing them is easy so recovery is
easy
HelpDisc

Old November 2nd 05, 02:46 PM
Joeshmo

What fantasy world do you live in? Any HD with a one year warrantee must
suck and,,,,surprize, the do. Lost 3 in three years (different systems.)
Each one was about 1 to 1.5 years old.
Maxtor, stop smoking that crap and fix your company.

. ..

Old November 2nd 05, 03:26 PM
Peter

What fantasy world do you live in? Any HD with a one year warrantee must
suck and,,,,surprize, the do. Lost 3 in three years (different systems.)
Each one was about 1 to 1.5 years old.
Maxtor, stop smoking that crap and fix your company.

They should attach a temperature sensor with undisablable audible alarm to
each hard disk they make.

Old November 2nd 05, 04:20 PM
CJT

Joeshmo wrote:

What fantasy world do you live in? Any HD with a one year warrantee must
suck and,,,,surprize, the do. Lost 3 in three years (different systems.)
Each one was about 1 to 1.5 years old.
Maxtor, stop smoking that crap and fix your company.

Maybe I should be knocking on wood or something, but mine just keep
chugging along. I keep 'em pretty cool, but nothing else special.

. ..

Old November 2nd 05, 07:02 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously Joeshmo wrote:
What fantasy world do you live in? Any HD with a one year warrantee must
suck and,,,,surprize, the do. Lost 3 in three years (different systems.)
Each one was about 1 to 1.5 years old.
Maxtor, stop smoking that crap and fix your company.

My Maxtors all have with 3 years warranty. They are unreliable
when cooled badly but pretty reliably in a server room (disk
temperature 35C under load).

Arno

Old November 2nd 05, 07:04 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously Peter wrote:
What fantasy world do you live in? Any HD with a one year warrantee must
suck and,,,,surprize, the do. Lost 3 in three years (different systems.)
Each one was about 1 to 1.5 years old.
Maxtor, stop smoking that crap and fix your company.

They should attach a temperature sensor with undisablable audible alarm to
each hard disk they make.

Not reliable or unusable in servers or unattended machines. Also
requires a buzzer. Better just shut them down and give a
"disk overheated" error (if ATA supports that). This would also
keep them alive.

Arno

Old November 2nd 05, 07:15 PM
latmu

Arno Wagner wrote:
Peter wrote

What fantasy world do you live in? Any HD with a one year warrantee
must suck and,,,,surprize, the do. Lost 3 in three years (different
systems.) Each one was about 1 to 1.5 years old.
Maxtor, stop smoking that crap and fix your company.

They should attach a temperature sensor with undisablable audible
alarm to each hard disk they make.

Not reliable or unusable in servers or unattended machines. Also
requires a buzzer. Better just shut them down and give a
"disk overheated" error (if ATA supports that).

SMART certainly does.

This would also keep them alive.

Yeah, but could well generate a hell of warranty claim problem
with Maxtor having to tell countless customers to bugger off.

Bit tricky legally in the most gung ho jurisdictions too.