Armada M300 and RF induction from transformer.

Old August 27th 05, 07:00 AM
dickydoo

Default Armada M300 and RF induction from transformer.

I am using it to play midi files thru a sequencer programme {cakewalk}via a
sound module to an amplifier and speakers.
When using power supply there is loud RF noise. Just using internal battery
no RF noise.
Works okay with a borrowed Toshiba.
I noticed the Toshiba has a bigger transformer and maybe has an RF filter
inside.
Is there an RF filter in the Armada transformer? If not would an RF choke
solve my problem ?
Thanks for any help.

Old August 27th 05, 11:56 AM
McSpreader

"dickydoo" wrote in
:

I am using it to play midi files thru a sequencer programme
{cakewalk}via a sound module to an amplifier and speakers.
When using power supply there is loud RF noise. Just using
internal battery no RF noise.
Works okay with a borrowed Toshiba.
I noticed the Toshiba has a bigger transformer and maybe has an
RF filter inside.
Is there an RF filter in the Armada transformer? If not would an
RF choke solve my problem ?
Thanks for any help.

The 'transformer' is in fact a switching mode power regulator. These
operate at high frequencies and produce electrical noise signals that
are both conducted and radiated.

If the noise is entering the laptop via the wire, a clip-on ferrite
suppressor may be effective, e.g.:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=32799&doy=27m8&QV=Y

Old August 27th 05, 12:01 PM
dickydoo

"McSpreader" wrote in message
"dickydoo" wrote in
:

I am using it to play midi files thru a sequencer programme
{cakewalk}via a sound module to an amplifier and speakers.
When using power supply there is loud RF noise. Just using
internal battery no RF noise.
Works okay with a borrowed Toshiba.
I noticed the Toshiba has a bigger transformer and maybe has an
RF filter inside.
Is there an RF filter in the Armada transformer? If not would an
RF choke solve my problem ?
Thanks for any help.

The 'transformer' is in fact a switching mode power regulator. These
operate at high frequencies and produce electrical noise signals that
are both conducted and radiated.

If the noise is entering the laptop via the wire, a clip-on ferrite
suppressor may be effective, e.g.:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=32799&doy=27m8&QV=Y

Thank you.

Old August 27th 05, 02:14 PM
ramon

Dear Group,

I have a Compaq PC clone running Windows 2000 with an HL-DT-ST CDROM model
GCR-8408B. I have had no problems with it - plays CDRs and audio CDs.

As birthday present for my son, have bought (second hand) 'Battle For
Middle Earth' CD Rom, in original box - not a copy. (In fact, I have two
identical boxed sets - by mistake...)

My drive will not recognise either CDR. I have tried them in another
machines CDR which recognised each of them as the Lord of the Rings CDR. My
drive whirrs and chugs for a minute before asking for a disc to be inserted.

Any advice welcome.

TIA

Old August 28th 05, 07:24 AM
dickydoo

I have fitted ferrite chokes on all cables but noise still there. Could you
recommend a replacement power supply ?

Old August 28th 05, 10:43 AM
McSpreader

"dickydoo" wrote in
:

[...]

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...9&doy=27m8&QV=

A replacement PSU may do the biz. Suggest you search the web for
one, eBay is a good source. Alternatively, there are universal
laptop PSUs on the market.