HP 6710b Mainframe/Hard Drive problem

Old September 29th 08, 04:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default HP 6710b Mainframe/Hard Drive problem

I recently upgraded my desktop to a compaq 6710b notebook, have had it
for no more than a week (if I'm lucky) and have been experiencing what
sounds like a fairly major problem with it.

I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced or heard of the same
problem.....

It first looked to be a faulty battery as orange light indicator was
on - the notebook has been used since we recieved it on a drop-in
centre only - but when I went to start it with out a power source 5
days into having it, it wouldn't work. I plugged in the portable power
adapter & it still wouldn't start & had the same resolve with the drop-
in centre.

After talking with HP on this I've been asked to take it into a
service centre not before asking me to take the battery out, plug it
in, hold the button for a minute, plug it in with the battery, put it
in the drop-in centre with the battery, do it all again with out the
battery - all of which I'd already tried - then decifered it was not a
battery problem, so had to pull apart the back of it to remove & re-
insert the "drive guide" (hard drive??) & try again but all to no
avail leading them to believe "...it's a hard drive or mainframe
problem".

If anyone else has experienced this or a similar problem could you
please let me know & possibly offer a little insight into what has
happened to my 7 day old notebook & how long it took for them to fix
the problem it would be greatly appreciated. I am, admittedly, a
little frustrated because it's so new & I now can't access my customer
information for who knows how long but am more so curious to see what/
how it went wrong and if it is a common problem as we purchased this
particular brand on recommendation.

Much appreciated,
Tia