Updating video card on Presario 7000

Old September 17th 05, 08:29 PM
Alan Saklofsky

Default Updating video card on Presario 7000

Hi

I have a presario 7000 (model number 7EL1kmatct0)

it runs Windows XP service pack 2, has 128 megs of Ram, an 80 gb harddrive
and has a NVidia TNT video card.

I saw a Radeon 9550 (with 256 MB of video RAm) for sale and I was wondering
if it would work in this computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Alan

Old September 17th 05, 09:42 PM
Ben Myers

Alan,

The most important question to ask is what are the processor and motherboard
chipset in your specific model of Presario 7000? There are several models of
7000.

As a rule, AGP cards come in three types:
1. older 3.3v-only with a single notch in the edge connector.
2. newer 1.5v-only with two notches in the edge connector.
3. dual voltage with two notches in the edge connector.

Also, as a rule, any Socket 478 Pentium or Celeron motherboard is designed for
the low-voltage AGP cards. Check the specs on the ATI card.

While you're at it, treat yourself to a memory upgrade. Whether you take the
system to 256MB or 512MB (recommended), you will see an immediate speedup due to
a reduction of Windows swap file activity. It is almost criminal that the name
brand companies (HPaq, Dell, Gateway) have sold XP systems without enough memory
to run respectably... Ben Myers

Old September 17th 05, 10:14 PM
Alan Saklofsky

The agp signalling is 1.5 v,0.8 v and the AGP speed of the Radeon 9550 is
4x, 8x

Does that mean that it is dual voltage or type 2 in your list?

Alan

Old September 17th 05, 11:22 PM
Ben Myers

Alan,

A motherboard with a P3 is definitely in the higher (3.3v) voltage category, and
I doubt that the Radeon 9550 would work in it. Yes, there is actually a third
voltage (0.8v), as graphics chip designer-manufacturers deal with heat by
lowering the voltage at which the chips operate... Ben Myers