98se crash HELP!

Old November 25th 04, 02:32 AM
l jones

Default 98se crash HELP!

My Compaq Presario 7360 running Win98se crashed. I wouldn't start in SAFE
MODE. I kept getting the no O/S on any system. I went through all 3 Start
Up Options on the Boot Disk. Went through everything in the Help Menu. ie
SYS C: and SCANDISK, and SCANDISK /ALL and SCANDISK /ALL /SURFACE
and CHKDSK and FDISK.EXE and FDISK.EXE /STATUS and FORMAT C: /S
All seemed to go well, except SCANDISK /MOUNT E when I got the msg. that it
couldn't find E. At EXT I put in the WIN98se disk and followed the
commands. I got a msg that it couldn't find WIN98, Bad Command or file
Name. I tried using an ole WIN95 boot disk. It went to the COMPAQ QUICK
RESTORE, but then I got "Compaq error 180.14 or 182.14" msg. Of course, I
could find anything on the Compaq website, and only 1 newgroup came up.
I was planning to give this comp. to my granddaughter who has ADHD and
really needs some help. Now what?

Help,

lj

Old November 25th 04, 03:38 AM
Ben Myers

It's likely that the hard drive crashed, especially if it is one of the awful
Quantum Bigfoot 5 1/4" hard drives.

One other less seious possibility is that the 3v Lithium C2032 battery is so low
on juice that it is causing the system to malfunction. The battery is
responsible for keeping the CMOS settings valid while the computer is powered
down. No juice, messed up settings.

Can you access the motherboard BIOS setup? If so, does it detect the hard drive
and show its capacity? If not, the hard drive is malfunctioning. If the hard
drive shows up, then reboot immediately without powering down and try to restore
Windows again. If you are successful, replace the battery which should cost
only a couple of bucks at a camera store, WalMart, or Radio Shack.

.... Ben Myers

Old November 25th 04, 03:12 PM
Ben Myers

Okay, but the Bigfeet came in fairly large capacities, too. And they were used
extensively by Compaq during the Windows 98 epoch... Ben Myers

Limitations of 98SE Mooreslaw General 10 November 14th 04 03:47 PM
Instant crash or illegal sumout from Prime95 - passes memtest86 DS Overclocking AMD Processors 8 September 5th 04 05:44 PM
ATI 9800 All-In-Wonder: Solution to my Crash Problem softbeard Ati Videocards 0 January 21st 04 12:35 AM
A7N8X Deluxe & 98SE Problems ! Rick Asus Motherboards 13 November 13th 03 02:29 AM
Help! Keystrokes make games crash w/GeForce2 Go card Deborah Gray Nvidia Videocards 8 October 10th 03 10:07 AM