UPS with a " I don't want it to beep when lose power' option

Old July 15th 07, 01:10 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Default UPS with a " I don't want it to beep when lose power' option

I can't be the only one with this issue and can't find an alternative.
Advice? Different vendor ?
I've got a few of these home-office-sized UPS 350VA, 500VA from APC and
when I lose power at the house, I CANNOT turn off the #$%'ing beeping
noise ! There is ONE in the bedroom that I would want to wake me up (
CPAC machine), and I'd then silence it. I asked a few months ago at APC
website 'how to disable?' - no response. I'd like to be able to go back to
bed without hearing the 'no power alarm' beep every 20 seconds from each
UPS until the batteries die ( from BEEPING !). I would like to have no
beep at all from the others ( in Living room for tuner/tv/etc, one for
each pc etc.)
I want to avoid roaming the house in the dark to unplug each UPS. It makes
no sense to me that the ONLY way to go back to bed is to UNLUG
everything - kinda defeats the whole reason for BUYING one doesn't it ?!
If I should lose power, I want the PC UPS to give me enough time to power
down gracefully - quietly. The one for the TV/Tuner is just so that I
don't have to reprogram everything after power outage.

I used to have a pro series APC SU600 for main PC that had a 'push here to
silence the alarm' button and I assumed that all UPS would have it.
I'm checking computer stores online - Cyberpower seems same way - site
mentions alarm but not that you can turn it off.
Anyone have a reasonably priced UPS that you can disable the beeping ?

Thanks
Bobb

Old July 15th 07, 01:28 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
olfart

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Doesn't the Power button on the front panel turn off everything...including
the beep"
I have a 350, 100 and a 1200 and the power button kills all of them

Old July 15th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

"olfart" wrote in message

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
I used to have a pro series APC SU600 for main PC that had a 'push here
to silence the alarm' button and I assumed that all UPS would have it.
I'm checking computer stores online - Cyberpower seems same way - site
mentions alarm but not that you can turn it off.
Anyone have a reasonably priced UPS that you can disable the beeping ?

Doesn't the Power button on the front panel turn off
everything...including the beep"
I have a 350, 100 and a 1200 and the power button kills all of them

Yeah, I could turn it OFF, and leave it off, but it defeats the purpose of
me even having standby power. If I turn it OFF and then go back to bed/ to
work, my stuff ( whatever it is) isn't ON. Is that what you do ? I would
like it, so that when I lose power, it 'keeps my stuff going' QUIETLY as
long as possible and if power is restored before the batteries discharge,
then just keep on going QUIETLY. IF I have one for the stereo equipment
( am I dating myself just using that terminology?) , it's a convenience,
not critical. If I lose power at 5am - don't wake me up! Now - if I lose
power the only way to NOT hear it is to turn it off / unplug it. So I'd
turn it off, maybe go to work and then have to return home to power it
back up ?? In a storm, if I need to listen to radio, I still hear the
beep, beep, beep - unless I turn everything off. Why waste my 'radio
listening time' , by the battery going beep,beep .

Maybe it IS just me, but I just thought it would be a common option.

Old July 15th 07, 03:59 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Rank

Dont know which UPS you have exactly but you might need APC software if you
don't already (Free on APC site)
Go in the VIEW menu, then DEVICE PROPERTIES, then POWER PARAMETERS, there
you will find the option to have or not have the audible waring
image here -

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9279/bipsl9.jpg

. ..

Old July 15th 07, 04:59 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Rank,

Do you know ...
If I hook each up to my PC, then program it , will those settings work
WITHOUT a PC ? Or is it their software that controls it ( with a PC) via
the external cable ? Would you know: if I program it - after the batteries
discharge will it 'remember' or need to reprogram it each time ?

Old July 15th 07, 07:04 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Dave Martindale

"- Bobb -" writes:
Do you know ...
If I hook each up to my PC, then program it , will those settings work
WITHOUT a PC ? Or is it their software that controls it ( with a PC) via
the external cable ? Would you know: if I program it - after the batteries
discharge will it 'remember' or need to reprogram it each time ?

You might have to try it. APC's manuals aren't very detailed.

I have a Back-UPS LS 500 on this machine, and one of the configurable
options is "Disable battery backup alarms when the PC is off or
hibernated or between the hours of two boxes to set the start and end
of quiet time". Since the UPS doesn't seem to have its own clock, the
time-sensitive stuff would have to be done with the help of the host
PC. But it *could* be done by a single command to enable or disable
beeps each time the system wakes up or hibernates, or one of the time
boundaries are passed.

I note that the time-based restrictions can be turned on only along
with the off/hibernate option, meaning there's no way for the
time-based restriction to change while the PC is asleep. This suggests
that the smarts are in the monitor application, and the UPS is just told
to shut up indefinitely when the PC goes off.

Dave
Old July 15th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Willard Sandilands

For APC models that have USB ports, the "silence" programming is in the
UPS. If you connect it to a PC and tell it to be silent, it will remain
silent thereafter whether connected to the PC or not, at least as long
as there isn't a total loss of all power to the UPS (e.g. battery
becomes completely discharged).

Old July 15th 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

"Willard Sandilands" wrote in message
. net...
For APC models that have USB ports, the "silence" programming is in the
UPS. If you connect it to a PC and tell it to be silent, it will remain
silent thereafter whether connected to the PC or not, at least as long
as there isn't a total loss of all power to the UPS (e.g. battery
becomes completely discharged).

For the Cyberpower I bought - that's how it looked. I installed sw on a
backup image ( so it doesn't show ( not connected every time I boot), ,
hooked up USB2 cable, chose " Disable all alerts" and shutdown pc - hooked
up the UPS in living room and when I unplugged it / back in - no beep -
great! (My APC had only rj45 and 2 rj12 jacks)

Thanks

Old July 15th 07, 06:46 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
William R. Walsh

Hi!

APC markets some units that can be told not to beep at all. The BR1500LCD
and BR1300LCD models can both have their beepers configured to stay off. You
can find at least the 1500 model for sale at Best Buy in the US. It is
advertised as a "Back UPS XS" there. Price is around $144.

For your existing UPS units, a little circuit modification might be in
order. I have "muted" various UPS units in times past by opening them up
(unplug the unit, disconnect the batteries FIRST and *be careful* -- these
things contain hazardous parts that may store energy even after the battery
is disconnected) and removing the offending beeper. This is effective but it
will invalidate any warranty your UPS is under.

William