5.25" floppy drive to IDE to USB?

Old April 20th 09, 08:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Eric Gisin

Default 5.25" floppy drive to IDE to USB?

For the PC floppies, you can make disk images on an modern PC with 1.2M setting in BIOS.
GNU dd is available for every OS out there. I used it last on Win2K: dd if=//./b: of=name.img
Once you have the images, WinImage or equivalent will open them, no need for VMs.

"Anthony K." -removeme wrote in message

Arno, since you asked what I was trying to do: I have a collection of
good condition single and double sided 5.25" floppies from a couple of
different systems: PC DOS and Apple II. Some of it is old data I'm
curious about, but most of it is vintage software and games. My goal was
to make images of the disc for use on a modern computer, using
virtualization software to emulate DOS and Apple II. This would be more
convenient for me than maintaining two more computers. It's enough I've
got to deal with C64 and Amiga stuff too. I can always go the PC +
Slackware route, or just enjoy the disks on a vintage machine, but it
would have been nice to have to explain why I need to buy yet another
old computer.

Old April 23rd 09, 04:30 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Anthony K.

In article ,
Franc Zabkar wrote:

SMSC had a USB bridge chip (USB97CFDC2-01) that supported "640K, 720K,
1.44M, 1.2M Windows 98 J, and 1.2M NEC DOS 6.x Formats":

It could be worth exploring. Thanks, Franc. The worst case scenario, I
end up with another shiny new vintage computer. I was told elsewhere
that I might have luck if I track down a first gen USB 3.5" floppy
because it might also contain the logic for a 5.25". There's some
possibilities yet.

Anthony
Old April 23rd 09, 12:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Apr 23, 4:30*am, "Anthony K." -
removeme wrote:
In article ,
*Franc Zabkar wrote:

SMSC had a USB bridge chip (USB97CFDC2-01) that supported "640K, 720K,
1.44M, 1.2M Windows 98 J, and 1.2M NEC DOS 6.x Formats":

It could be worth exploring. Thanks, Franc. The worst case scenario, I
end up with another shiny new vintage computer. I was told elsewhere
that I might have luck if I track down a first gen USB 3.5" floppy
because it might also contain the logic for a 5.25". There's some
possibilities yet.

Anthony

Apple II disks are GCR, but fortunately 48tpi This is a few million
miles away from any standard IBM compatible controller. I think
Commodore also used GCR and sometimes 100 tpi drives. No USB device
will handle these types of disk as clock and data from the disk need
separating and processing in a very different way.

You need to find someone with a multi-media disk reader, such as in
InterMedia, US Lynx convertor or Shaffstel system

In UK, try www.onetouchcomputers.co.uk

Michael
Old April 23rd 09, 01:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mike S.

In article ,
Anthony K. -removeme wrote:
In article ,
Franc Zabkar wrote:

SMSC had a USB bridge chip (USB97CFDC2-01) that supported "640K, 720K,
1.44M, 1.2M Windows 98 J, and 1.2M NEC DOS 6.x Formats":

It could be worth exploring. Thanks, Franc. The worst case scenario, I
end up with another shiny new vintage computer. I was told elsewhere
that I might have luck if I track down a first gen USB 3.5" floppy
because it might also contain the logic for a 5.25". There's some
possibilities yet.

Unlike almost every other 3.5" USB floppy drive on the market, Buslink
makes (brands?) a large metal-cased one which contains a standard 3.5"
drive and a USB-to-floppy bridge board using standard connectors. (In
almost every other such product, all of the electronics are integrated
into one board on the drive mechanism itself, making it impossible to
access the floppy data bus).

It wouldn't take much work to open this thing and (using a card-edge
connector adaptor) connect the bridge board to a 5.25" floppy and see what
happens.

Old April 27th 09, 02:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:30:49 -0700, "Anthony K."
-removeme put finger to keyboard and
composed:

In article ,
Franc Zabkar wrote:

SMSC had a USB bridge chip (USB97CFDC2-01) that supported "640K, 720K,
1.44M, 1.2M Windows 98 J, and 1.2M NEC DOS 6.x Formats":

It could be worth exploring. Thanks, Franc. The worst case scenario, I
end up with another shiny new vintage computer. I was told elsewhere
that I might have luck if I track down a first gen USB 3.5" floppy
because it might also contain the logic for a 5.25". There's some
possibilities yet.

FWIW, I found this NEC USB floppy drive (model UF0002):
http://support.necam.com/oem/specs/UF0002.pdf

Data Transfer Rate 500/300/250 kByte/s
Capacity 1.44/1.25/0.72 MByte
Disks 3.5" Micro Floppy Disks
Spindle Speed 300 U/min
Voltage DC + 5.25 V + 4.4 V, 500 mA

I don't understand how you can get a data transfer rate of 300
kByte/s, or to which capacity it applies.

- Franc Zabkar
Old November 19th 10, 09:48 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mjermine

Try searching for any of these: "Catweasel mk4 Plus", "FC5025 Floppy
Controller", or "Kyroflux"

These are disk drive controller cards for modern computers. FC5025 is
a USB solution. CatWeasel is a PCI card. Kyroflux is still in
development.

Old November 20th 10, 04:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
edfair[_64_]

Can't recall when 5DD went away (XP possibly) but suspect that you could
do it on a 98 box and make the drive available on the network.

Old March 4th 18, 07:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 5:01:44 PM UTC-5, Anthony K. wrote:
Is it possible to get a vintage 5.25" PC floppy drive connected to a
modern PC with no floppy controller and just USB/FireWire inputs? Do IDE
5.25" floppy drives exist? If so, I could drop one into a USB enclosure.
Is there an adapter that would let me connect a floppy drive to an IDE
interface?

My specific machine is a Macintosh so I'm certain there are additional
BIOS issues, but I figure, as long as I am able to get the drive mounted
via USB, I could run Windows or just virtualize DOS in order to see the
drive properly.

Any ideas?

Anthony K.

What about an Ide to 5.25 and 3.5 chord will that work for you ??
Old June 26th 18, 09:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 3:01:44 PM UTC-7, Anthony K. wrote:
Is it possible to get a vintage 5.25" PC floppy drive connected to a
modern PC with no floppy controller and just USB/FireWire inputs? Do IDE
5.25" floppy drives exist? If so, I could drop one into a USB enclosure.
Is there an adapter that would let me connect a floppy drive to an IDE
interface?

My specific machine is a Macintosh so I'm certain there are additional
BIOS issues, but I figure, as long as I am able to get the drive mounted
via USB, I could run Windows or just virtualize DOS in order to see the
drive properly.

Any ideas?

Anthony K.

The Kayro from Software Preservation Society http://softpres.org/glossary:kryoflux might work. I have one on order, and hope to get soon.

David W.
Old June 26th 18, 10:00 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 3:01:44 PM UTC-7, Anthony K. wrote:
Is it possible to get a vintage 5.25" PC floppy drive connected to a
modern PC with no floppy controller and just USB/FireWire inputs? Do IDE
5.25" floppy drives exist? If so, I could drop one into a USB enclosure.
Is there an adapter that would let me connect a floppy drive to an IDE
interface?

My specific machine is a Macintosh so I'm certain there are additional
BIOS issues, but I figure, as long as I am able to get the drive mounted
via USB, I could run Windows or just virtualize DOS in order to see the
drive properly.

Any ideas?

Anthony K.

The Kryoflux from SPS (Software Preservation Society) might work. I have one on order, and hope to try it out very soon.

http://softpres.org/glossary:kryoflux

Regards,

David W.