expanding ram

Old November 27th 07, 06:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

Default expanding ram

Hi, I have question about expanding ram.

Presently, I am working with some very large databases( in the 500
gig range) and I am searching for an inexpensive way to have the
entire databases in memory. Given that my knowledge of hardware is not
that in depth I was wondering if someone knew the best way to expand
memory to avoid using hardrives which are much slower than ram.
I am considering:
USB
FIREWIRE
BLUETOOTH
and any other possibilities.

Since cheap mother boards can only hold up to a few gigs unless
you can afford a super computer, I was thinking about having my
databases put on USB flash drives attached through a USB hub * 2
(because must computers have 2 usb ports) adding for example 16gig usb
drive * 2 hubs * 4 ports per hub is 128 gigs. I don't think there is
any common mother board out there that can hold that kind of ram.

Linux Ubuntu Fiesty is the operating system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Carl
Old November 28th 07, 12:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Scott Alfter

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

USB flashsticks are substantially slower than hard drives connected over
IDE/SATA/SCSI/etc. You'd also need a few dozen of them hanging off of one
computer to get the storage you need. For that matter, hard drives
connected over USB or FireWire are going to be slower than hard drives
connected over IDE/SATA/SCSI/etc. Bluetooth isn't even a contender, as its
top speed of about 700 kbps is a couple orders of magnitude slower.

Your only feasible option, as I see it, is to put the database on a RAID
array made with the fastest drives you can get. RAID-5 on some 15-krpm
SCSI or SAS drives would most likely be the fastest you can get with current
technology. RAID-5 on 10-krpm SCSI, SAS, or SATA drives would save some
money with (hopefully) not too big a speed hit.

_/_
(IIGS(
http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?