Technology News: No Compromise on WAPI as Intel's Barrett Heads to China

Old April 6th 04, 02:33 AM
Dionaea muscipula

Default Technology News: No Compromise on WAPI as Intel's Barrett Heads to China

On April 5, 2004, Sumner Lemon of Technology News wrote that Intel
will stand firm by its decision not to support China's WLAN standard
as the company hopes for an end to the impasse.

"Nothing has really changed in our position with regard to WAPI,"
Intel CEO Craig Barrett said. Barrett was speaking in Taipei during
his Asian tour. "We'll sell our Centrino mobile technology up until
June 1 and hopefully we'll get this issue resolved before then."

Read the news in
http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/33321.html
Old April 6th 04, 03:55 PM
charles liu

(Dionaea muscipula) wrote in message . com...
On April 5, 2004, Sumner Lemon of Technology News wrote that Intel
will stand firm by its decision not to support China's WLAN standard
as the company hopes for an end to the impasse.

"Nothing has really changed in our position with regard to WAPI,"
Intel CEO Craig Barrett said. Barrett was speaking in Taipei during
his Asian tour. "We'll sell our Centrino mobile technology up until
June 1 and hopefully we'll get this issue resolved before then."

If Intel really feels it is in the right over *China's sovereign power
to regulate her own bandwith however she sees fit*, let's see Intel
grow some balls and pull *everything* from China. Yes, as of now even
after June 1, Intel will continue to sell it's desktop/mobile
processor products/services unaffected by WAPI.

Hey Intel, want the 1 billion emerging market or not? Make up your
mind. Nokia can build cell phones that support 4-6 completely
incompatible celleular platforms arond the globe, but Intel can't add
WAPI to the 6-10 WiFi standards/security protocol/extensions Centrino
already have to provide legacy support for right now?

How come the English System is preventing the world from creating
essential and fundamental necessity like global measurement standard,
aka The Metric System? Something 99% of the World is using already?
Not joining the Metric Standard is a wrong move for US/UK, and a wrong
move for rest of the world...

Old April 6th 04, 10:52 PM
Guru Google

(charles liu) wrote in message . com...
(Dionaea muscipula) wrote in message . com...
On April 5, 2004, Sumner Lemon of Technology News wrote that Intel
will stand firm by its decision not to support China's WLAN standard
as the company hopes for an end to the impasse.

"Nothing has really changed in our position with regard to WAPI,"
Intel CEO Craig Barrett said. Barrett was speaking in Taipei during
his Asian tour. "We'll sell our Centrino mobile technology up until
June 1 and hopefully we'll get this issue resolved before then."

If Intel really feels it is in the right over *China's sovereign power
to regulate her own bandwith however she sees fit*, let's see Intel
grow some balls and pull *everything* from China. Yes, as of now even
after June 1, Intel will continue to sell it's desktop/mobile
processor products/services unaffected by WAPI.

Heck, why is Intel so stupid to pull everything from China to prove it
has guts? Intel not following China's ridiculous rule on WAPI don't
mean it has to pull everything.

Hey Intel, want the 1 billion emerging market or not? Make up your
mind. Nokia can build cell phones that support 4-6 completely
incompatible celleular platforms arond the globe, but Intel can't add
WAPI to the 6-10 WiFi standards/security protocol/extensions Centrino
already have to provide legacy support for right now?

Charles Liu again and again missed the point. Nokia can build 10
platforms if she wants, cuz all the specs and standards are public, or
Nokia pays a fee to obtain the doc, so if Nokia likes it, Nokia go
into the 10 new platforms.

But this time China's WAPI demands Intel, Broadcom to work with their
Chinese competitors. That's the problem.

How come the English System is preventing the world from creating
essential and fundamental necessity like global measurement standard,
aka The Metric System? Something 99% of the World is using already?
Not joining the Metric Standard is a wrong move for US/UK, and a wrong
move for rest of the world...

Hehe, the US/UK didn't say your metric system can't go into their
markets. Even if they do, you don't need to work with a US/UK company
to use miles.

Compared this with China's new rule to force foreign companies to
share their IP with Chinese companies.