Intel D875 vs D865

Old April 5th 04, 03:08 PM
Alfa

Default Intel D875 vs D865

Simple question , what is the advantage of the 875 over the 865 mobs.
Is the speed difference that noticable. I'm looking at getting a new
mob with 3.0Ghz cpu for gaming & video rendering just can't decide
which way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old April 5th 04, 04:07 PM
Tony Linguini

From Tom's Hardware
"Our key findings are as follows: the marketing strategists from Intel argue
that the two chips differ from one another in that the 875P essentially
performs better than the 865PE. The performance advantage is mainly said to
result form the fast "PAT" memory access, which is officially not possible
in the case of the 865."
"In practice, however, a completely different picture emerges: the benchmark
results of our test field prove that, depending on the manufacturer, boards
based on the Intel 865PE are just as fast as boards with the Intel 875P. The
key factors here are optimization of the BIOS software and adjustment of
running times through the appropriate layout of the track conductors. The
fast storage access (in the case of the 875P) is therefore not the sole
factor determining the speed of a board."

I picked the D875 because the higher number makes me feel like I have more
(LOL)

Old April 6th 04, 08:05 AM
JanH.

"Alfa" schreef in bericht
om...
Simple question , what is the advantage of the 875 over the 865 mobs.
Is the speed difference that noticable. I'm looking at getting a new
mob with 3.0Ghz cpu for gaming & video rendering just can't decide
which way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

My computer with a boxed Intel D875PBZ motherboard (with a 3.0 GHz cpu and
1.24 MB RAM, DDR 400 synchronous) turned out to be a lemon: during about one
in ten start-ups the computer cannot find my keyboard (bios message:
"Keyboard not functional"). I have tried different keyboards and mice, but
to no avail. Updated to the latest bios (P22): no success. Changed the
graphics card from Matrox to NVidia: problem remains.

On the Intel web site I only found this solution: "reseat every computer
component"...

By the way: the cpu's ventilator is rather loud so I have now a Zalman
passive cpu cooler (temperature at present about 37 degrees Celsius) (the
keyboard problem occurred already before this change).

Not much cheers, JanH.

Old April 6th 04, 07:55 PM
Frank Fussenegger

Wouldn't the warrantee cover this kind of problem?

"JanH." wrote in message ...
"Alfa" schreef in bericht
om...

Old April 7th 04, 09:13 AM
JanH.

"Frank Fussenegger" schreef in bericht
om...
Wouldn't the warrantee cover this kind of problem?

Sure, but I got fed-up with lugging the computer back to the shop and then
re-installing all software (and/or confidential data) again and again. As
long as I watch out during the start-up process (or listen: two beeps
instead of one) the computer works fine.

Regards, JanH.

Old April 12th 04, 11:07 PM
Alfa

"JanH." wrote in message ...
"Frank Fussenegger" schreef in bericht
om...
Wouldn't the warrantee cover this kind of problem?

Sure, but I got fed-up with lugging the computer back to the shop and then
re-installing all software (and/or confidential data) again and again. As
long as I watch out during the start-up process (or listen: two beeps
instead of one) the computer works fine.

Regards, JanH.

Thanks for the replies, so basically i'll save my money and get the intel d865perlk.
Old April 13th 04, 12:54 AM
steven67@

Alfa wrote:

"JanH." wrote in message ...
"Frank Fussenegger" schreef in bericht
om...
Wouldn't the warrantee cover this kind of problem?

Sure, but I got fed-up with lugging the computer back to the shop and then
re-installing all software (and/or confidential data) again and again. As
long as I watch out during the start-up process (or listen: two beeps
instead of one) the computer works fine.

Regards, JanH.

Thanks for the replies, so basically i'll save my money and get the intel d865perlk.

..

The 875 supports ECC; the 865 doesn't. ECC can detect mulitple-bit memory errors, and correct
single-bit errors. If you want the extra protection provided by ECC, get the 875 board and ECC
memory. If you don't care about ECC, and want to save a few bucks, get the 865 board.

Old April 13th 04, 02:57 AM
Post Replies Here Please

"steven67@" == steven67@ writes:

steven67@ Alfa wrote:
"JanH." wrote in message
... "Frank Fussenegger"
schreef in bericht
om...
Wouldn't the warrantee cover this kind of problem?

Sure, but I got fed-up with lugging the computer back to the

shop and then re-installing all software (and/or confidential
data) again and again. As long as I watch out during the
start-up process (or listen: two beeps instead of one) the
computer works fine.

Regards, JanH.

Thanks for the replies, so basically i'll save my money and get
the intel d865perlk.

steven67@ .

steven67@ The 875 supports ECC; the 865 doesn't. ECC can detect
steven67@ mulitple-bit memory errors, and correct single-bit errors.
steven67@ If you want the extra protection provided by ECC, get the
steven67@ 875 board and ECC memory. If you don't care about ECC, and
steven67@ want to save a few bucks, get the 865 board.

Concur with the above and would add the 875 is a six layer board.

Good luck