Can't install CAt 3.9 on XP Pro

Old November 7th 03, 02:41 PM
Daniel Ganek

Default Can't install CAt 3.9 on XP Pro

Am I the only one who can't install Cat 3.9? I keep getting a
severe error when it attempts to install the XP drivers. "Can't
find INF file for driver" (or something like that).

This happened on my running system which had been running 3.8.
I mucked around and screwed something up so I did a cold install
of XP pro; added the MS updates BUT NO NEW ATI drivers.

Again the 3.9 install gave me the sever error message.

Anyone have any ideas?

/dan

Old November 7th 03, 03:35 PM
Bratboy

Seem to recall a few ppl saying they had problems installing from the all in
one file but that using the seperate files worked so you might try that. In
my case I did the add/remove software- ATI drivers, rebooted and got mssg
cp couldn't load ran the driver exe, rebooted just fine then ran the CP exe
and it installed just fine as well. Might give that a shot.
Hope it helps
Just Jess

Old November 7th 03, 03:54 PM
Skid

How are you trying to install them? Don't let Windows do it. Run the
setup.exe in the ATI folder.

Old November 7th 03, 03:57 PM
Zulu

Daniel Ganek wrote:
Am I the only one who can't install Cat 3.9? I keep getting a
severe error when it attempts to install the XP drivers. "Can't
find INF file for driver" (or something like that).

This happened on my running system which had been running 3.8.
I mucked around and screwed something up so I did a cold install
of XP pro; added the MS updates BUT NO NEW ATI drivers.

Again the 3.9 install gave me the sever error message.

Anyone have any ideas?

Install them manually...

Zulu

Old November 8th 03, 01:31 AM
Don Burnette

Daniel Ganek wrote:
Am I the only one who can't install Cat 3.9? I keep getting a
severe error when it attempts to install the XP drivers. "Can't
find INF file for driver" (or something like that).

This happened on my running system which had been running 3.8.
I mucked around and screwed something up so I did a cold install
of XP pro; added the MS updates BUT NO NEW ATI drivers.

Again the 3.9 install gave me the sever error message.

Anyone have any ideas?

/dan

Sounds like you are trying to install by clicking on the "update driver"
button in the properties/driver tab?
If so, have you actually been able to extract the files from the driver exe
package, and if so are you pointing to the correct folder containing the inf
file?
I usually install my Audigy2 drivers that way, and back when I had Nvidia I
did them the same way, but I just use the driver's downloaded exe package,
and control panel's downloaded exe package to install.

Here is what I do , fwiw:

I uninstall control panel in XP Pro's add/remove programs, then uninstall
the ATI driver in add/remove programs, then reboot.
I click on cancel each time XP Pro finds new hardware and gives you the
option on how to search for the driver ( perhaps this is how you have been
trying it?)
I then use a registry cleaner - I use System Mechanic from Iola - to clean
any remnants of the files. ( this probably is not that necessary, I just
like to get rid of all the references I can).

I then install the driver by double clicking the downloaded driver package,
and reboot. ( I make sure my anti-virus software is disabled, and no other
programs running before double clicking this file).
I then install ATI Control Panel by double clicking the downloaded control
panel package.
I then reboot a final time.
I go into display options/advanced to set everything like I like it.

Hope this helps some,

--
Don Burnette

Old November 8th 03, 03:47 AM
Craig Matchan

Ditto to Don's procedure, apart from using System Mechanic to clean out the
registry. Installed Cat 3.9's fine on my XP Pro box.

Craig

Old November 11th 03, 07:08 PM
GaryM

I have exactly the same problem. After upgrading through nearly every
generation of Catalyst driver, this is the first time I've experienced this
problem. I have an original model All-in-Wonder Radeon, and I'm using
Windows XP-SP1 with all updates. I properly uninstalled the previous driver
and rebooted before the attempted installation (just as I've done many times
before). I was using the separate install files, rather than the
all-in-one, although that is not supposed to make any difference. To make a
minor correction to your report, I believe the message was "INF error" and
"Can't find driver file" (or words to that effect). The dialog title noted
that this error was "Severe" and I don't disagree.

The best evidence that this is merely an install file error (and not a
Windows problem) is the fact that when I reinstalled the Catalyst 3.8
driver, that process was as seamless as I've come to expect. I looked
briefly in the v3.9 INF file to see if there were any obvious text errors,
but without the type of debugging tools that the Catalyst programmers should
have at their disposal, this manual process could easily take much more time
than it's worth. I think I'll simply wait for the next version. My history
with ATI indicates that this failing of theirs is a relative rarity.

--GaryM