Not detecting CD-R and CD-RW

Old July 6th 03, 07:58 AM
Rich

Default Not detecting CD-R and CD-RW

I have two CD drives :- a teac CD-DVD, and a mitsumi CDRW. I am using Win98.
My problems started with an attempt to correct a conflict between my via
chipset and my alcatel broadband modem. I downloaded the latest drivers for
the mb, but when I tried to install, I got an error saying "registry error
please reboot"

After a couple of attempts I use norton system doctor to fix the registry.

Now my CD drives are not detected. They are not visible in my computer, nor
are there any references to them in device manager.

On startup I see that the bios sees them....

Help !!

Old July 6th 03, 07:19 PM
BC Berry

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 06:58:38 +0000 (UTC), "Rich"
wrote:

I have two CD drives :- a teac CD-DVD, and a mitsumi CDRW. I am using Win98.
My problems started with an attempt to correct a conflict between my via
chipset and my alcatel broadband modem. I downloaded the latest drivers for
the mb, but when I tried to install, I got an error saying "registry error
please reboot"

After a couple of attempts I use norton system doctor to fix the registry.

Now my CD drives are not detected. They are not visible in my computer, nor
are there any references to them in device manager.

On startup I see that the bios sees them....

Help !!

With WIN98, I would suspect the NOIDE problem. If WIN detects an IDE
controller initialization problem, it sets a flag (NOIDE) in the
registry to permanently disable the 32 bit driver (required for CDROM
drive detection). Yea - real smart - permanently disable the driver
when one error is detected. See
http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1
for how to clear the flag.

*LOL* just noticed. the article gives a quick fix for WIN98 involving
running a file from the WIN98 install CD. How ya supposed to do that
when the problem disables the CDROM drive?
--
E-mail address is invalid due to spam overflow - Please reply in the newsgroup.

Old July 7th 03, 12:20 PM
Ian Roberts

snip...

*LOL* just noticed. the article gives a quick fix for WIN98

involving
running a file from the WIN98 install CD. How ya supposed to do that
when the problem disables the CDROM drive?
--

Yeah! Reminds me of the many times I've done a new install of Win98
from the CD on numerous PC's - only for the half cooked Windows to

Ian I^)

Old July 14th 03, 05:52 AM
Rich

Just in case someone finds the thread via a Deja search because they have a
similar problem, the solution that worked for me :-

"But you can still boot Windows, yes? If so, you can make a start-up disk
with CD_ROM support, if you haven't got one already..
Control PanelAdd/Remove ProgramsStartup disk"

I used the startup disk created to reboot, choose the "with CD Rom support"
option, then reinstalled Win98, all is now fine and dandy.