Windows 2000 setup: can't load Windows Boot loader.

Old February 19th 06, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,alt.comp.hardware

Default Windows 2000 setup: can't load Windows Boot loader.

I've got a laptop that I'm trying to install Windows 2000 on.
(I can't install XP as the laptop doesn't have the right drivers.)

I get the error: "Setup can't load Windows Boot loader".

It also says I should check if the hard disc is faulty.

Previously I had Win2000 installed.
It crashed.
I tested the hard drive.
An error was reported.

But then I got the hard drive manufacturers tools and wiped the hard
drive completely.
And ran the error check again.
All seems to be fine.

But... I still get the error above.

What can I do to ge the Windows Boot Loader to install?

Thanks.

OM

Old February 21st 06, 02:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,alt.comp.hardware

Hello OM,

I tested the hard drive.
An error was reported.

This really sounds like a physical error of the harddisk. I think it's
damaged.

But then I got the hard drive manufacturers tools and wiped the hard
drive completely.
And ran the error check again.
All seems to be fine.

Wiping removes the information about all sectors that are corrupt. So
the check util may say anything.

I am no expert but I guess the MBR (master boot record, first sector) is
broken. No clue how this can happen (only an old disk). If it's the MBR
the check util might also ignore this sector and just scan actual data
sectors.

In my opinion the is few hope that you can use this disk anymore.

(I can't install XP as the laptop doesn't have the right drivers.)

If the problem is just caused by Windows 2000 (which is very unlikely)
you should try XP although. It uses a similar driver architecture and
some Win2000 drivers are also usable under XP. In addition many devices
are supported by XP itself. Have a try.

Daniel Böhmer, Germany