Mysterious restarts after normal shutdown.

Old March 2nd 05, 05:36 PM
foldercarb

Default Mysterious restarts after normal shutdown.

I have a Gateway E-4650 which powers itself back up within a minute or
two after performing a normal shutdown (Start\shutdown).

Any ideas?

--
foldercarb
Old March 2nd 05, 11:53 PM
TR

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:36:57 +0000, foldercarb
wrote:

powers itself back up within a minute or two after
performing a normal shutdown (Start\shutdown).

You never did say what your operating system was. I will go on the
assumption that it is XP. Are you REALLY sure that it is completely
shut down when it does this restart and not just stuck in a
nonresponsive mode with the screen blank, making it appear that it has
actually shut down?

The reason I ask is that this behavior may occur if Windows stops
responding during a typical operation or during the shutdown process.
By default, the computer is configured to automatically restart when
Windows stops responding. To view this setting, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button, right-click My Computer, click Properties,
click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and
Recovery.

2. Under System Failure, view the Automatically restart check box. If
the Automatically restart check box is selected, Windows automatically
restarts if the computer stops unexpectedly.

The default is set to Automatically Restart if windows stops
responding.

Uncheck this and see if it restarts/boots itself in a few minutes. If
that keeps it from restarting/booting, then you know that you have
other issues that are causing windows to become nonresponsive during
shutdown and the above is taking over and starting you back up. Also,
if unchecking this option does let windows go on and shut down, that
does NOT fix the problem, it only shows that windows had stopped
responding during the shutdown and this option took over and restarted
windows. So the there is still a problem to locate and fix.

Try this first and let us know.

Regards,
TR

Old March 3rd 05, 05:47 PM
pengulin

But now if your computer is actually shutting down and powering completely
off when it does, the problem has to be a hardware issue. I doubt it would
actually be the motherboard or power supply, because issues would manifest
in different ways (e.g. the system would unexpectedly shut down or reboot
while the computer was powered up). It would be likely that you have some
kind of misalignment with the front bezel and the power switch, where the
bezel may be putting some pressure on the power switch, and at random times,
it's just enough pressure to turn the machine on. It could also be a problem
with the power switch itself. I'm not sure of the exact case configuration
on your model. But one way to test the bezel theory is to take the bezel
off, and leave it off long enough to determine if the problem recurrs. The
Bezel of course (if your not sure what I'm talking about) is techspeak for
the front plastic decorative cover on your system case. It usually covers
your actual power switch, and sometimes the drive bays. The power switch you
see on the bezel and use to turn on the computer is actually a mechanical
extension with a tiny control arm that will push in on the actual switch.The
problem that you are having very often occurs when that control arm is in
some way misaligned with the switch, but can also occur when the switch
itself is damaged. Good luck.

Old March 3rd 05, 10:46 PM
David Efflandt

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, foldercarb
wrote:

I have a Gateway E-4650 which powers itself back up within a minute or
two after performing a normal shutdown (Start\shutdown).

Check your BIOS (CMOS setup during boot) and try disabling "Wake on LAN"
or anything similar relating to your modem. It could be that network
traffic is waking it up.

CPU Temperature Nel General 34 August 17th 04 10:29 PM
P4C800E-Deluxe restarts on shutdown? Noozer Asus Motherboards 5 February 12th 04 02:24 PM
FPS Really LOW - Whats Wrong? John W. Ati Videocards 5 January 20th 04 08:09 AM
Norton AV 2002 small problem Keith S. Dell Computers 7 January 9th 04 06:04 PM