Battery Charging

Old November 21st 04, 03:53 PM
Rex's Mom

Default Battery Charging

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 8200.

It is used 'plugged-in' 99% of the time. This morning, when
I fired it up (can shut down last night), it said it was
charging the battery. It was at 95%.

Can't remember the last time I was on battery...so why would
it be charging?

TIA
--

Rex's Mom

Old November 21st 04, 08:33 PM
Mistoffolees

Rex's Mom wrote:
Machine is a Dell Inspiron 8200.

It is used 'plugged-in' 99% of the time. This morning, when I fired it
up (can shut down last night), it said it was charging the battery. It
was at 95%.

Can't remember the last time I was on battery...so why would it be
charging?

TIA

Batteries lose their charge with time. How old is the
battery? The older the battery, the lesser its ability
to hold a charge over time.

Old November 21st 04, 11:39 PM
Howard Kaikow

"Mistoffolees" wrote in message

Rex's Mom wrote:
Machine is a Dell Inspiron 8200.

It is used 'plugged-in' 99% of the time. This morning, when I fired it
up (can shut down last night), it said it was charging the battery. It
was at 95%.

Can't remember the last time I was on battery...so why would it be
charging?

TIA

Batteries lose their charge with time. How old is the
battery? The older the battery, the lesser its ability
to hold a charge over time.

Also, there could have power outages of which you were not aware, e.g.,
whilst sleeping or away.
Several of htose could occur over time.

In those cases, the notebook would have switched to battery power, perhaps
even fully using the battery at times.
--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

Old November 22nd 04, 12:15 AM
Rex's Mom

Mistoffolees wrote:

Rex's Mom wrote:

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 8200.

It is used 'plugged-in' 99% of the time. This morning, when I fired
it up (can shut down last night), it said it was charging the battery.
It was at 95%.

Can't remember the last time I was on battery...so why would it be
charging?

TIA

Batteries lose their charge with time. How old is the
battery? The older the battery, the lesser its ability
to hold a charge over time.

Machine is about 18 months old, give or take!

Should I be concerned/should I be thinking about buying
another battery?

--

Rex's Mom

Old November 22nd 04, 12:18 AM
Rex's Mom

Rex's Mom wrote:

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 8200.

It is used 'plugged-in' 99% of the time. This morning, when I fired it
up (can shut down last night), it said it was charging the battery. It
was at 95%.

Can't remember the last time I was on battery...so why would it be
charging?

TIA

Batteries lose their charge with time. How old is the
battery? The older the battery, the lesser its ability
to hold a charge over time.

Also, there could have power outages of which you were not aware, e.g.,
whilst sleeping or away.
Several of htose could occur over time.

In those cases, the notebook would have switched to battery power, perhaps
even fully using the battery at times.

We have certainly had a few quicky power outages, but not
for a while. Wouldn't the machine have gone into 'recharge'
mode immediately? On the other hand, it may have recharged
itself while I was not looking at it.

Haven't had a significant power outage for quite some time.
And...a) more often than not, I turn off the machine before
retiring for the night and b) I ALWAYS turn it off and
unplug when there is a serious storm about (even with a
power surge protector, i have heard of folks being fried)

Main reason for posting in the first place was that it was
unusual and so, I wondered if it was significant.

--

Rex's Mom

Old November 22nd 04, 06:06 AM
GHalleck

Rex's Mom wrote:
Mistoffolees wrote:

Rex's Mom wrote:

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 8200.

It is used 'plugged-in' 99% of the time. This morning, when I fired
it up (can shut down last night), it said it was charging the
battery. It was at 95%.

Can't remember the last time I was on battery...so why would it be
charging?

TIA

Batteries lose their charge with time. How old is the
battery? The older the battery, the lesser its ability
to hold a charge over time.

Machine is about 18 months old, give or take!

Should I be concerned/should I be thinking about buying another battery?

I usually give an average of 24 months for a laptop's
battery life.

Old November 22nd 04, 09:24 PM
Ogden Johnson III

GHalleck wrote:

Rex's Mom wrote:
Mistoffolees wrote:
Rex's Mom wrote:

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 8200.

It is used 'plugged-in' 99% of the time. This morning, when I fired
it up (can shut down last night), it said it was charging the
battery. It was at 95%.

Can't remember the last time I was on battery...so why would it be
charging?

Batteries lose their charge with time. How old is the
battery? The older the battery, the lesser its ability
to hold a charge over time.

Machine is about 18 months old, give or take!

Should I be concerned/should I be thinking about buying another battery?

I usually give an average of 24 months for a laptop's
battery life.

This is inherent in the type of battery now used in laptops - and
many other portable consumer electronic devices. Big article on
it in the Washington Post last winter. Unlike the old-style
rechargeables, NiCads, etc., the old rules [e.g., let them
discharge almost fully before recharging] no longer apply. No
matter how often recharged, or how recharged, the batteries have
a 24-30 month life, give or take. Apparently one of the
tradeoffs necessary for the longer life they provide when
charged. TANSTAAFL.
--
OJ III