Question about transfer speeds between HDs, and DMA mode

Old July 20th 04, 08:33 PM
ZigZag Master

Default Question about transfer speeds between HDs, and DMA mode

I have a Maxtor 200GB (6Y200P0) and a Western Digital 250GB WD2500JB in a
AMD 2500 / Abit NF7-S - 1GB RAM. I am running Windows XP Pro.

I was wondering how long it should take to copy large files between the
drives.

I have some TV captures that are about 8-12GB. It just seems like it takes
a long time to copy from drive to drive....about 6-8 minutes. Is this
normal?

Also, do I have to do anything special to turn on DMA mode? I think I was
using Pinnacle Studio, and it popped up a window saying DMA mode was not
enabled on the Maxtor.

Thanks

Old July 20th 04, 10:04 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:33:29 -0400, ZigZag Master wrote:

I have a Maxtor 200GB (6Y200P0) and a Western Digital 250GB WD2500JB in a
AMD 2500 / Abit NF7-S - 1GB RAM. I am running Windows XP Pro.

I was wondering how long it should take to copy large files between the
drives.

I have some TV captures that are about 8-12GB. It just seems like it takes
a long time to copy from drive to drive....about 6-8 minutes. Is this
normal?

Also, do I have to do anything special to turn on DMA mode? I think I was
using Pinnacle Studio, and it popped up a window saying DMA mode was not
enabled on the Maxtor.

For best performance, make sure the 2 drives are not on the same channel
(cable). If they are on the same channel, this will be a major
slowdown, as each channel can only perform 1 IO fubction at a time. So
it will have to read to ram, then write back out to the same channel.
Using 2 channels (cables), both will happen at the same time. Then make
sure you have them set to the fastest settings they support. I use hdparm
to check/set mine, but I run linux. Not sure where you set/check drive
modes in win.

Old July 20th 04, 10:30 PM
ZigZag Master

OK, I also have 1 DVD writer and 1 DVD reader, so if I understand you
correctly, I should put one HD and one DVD on each channel???

thanks

newsan.2004.07.20.21.10.40.749665@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old July 21st 04, 12:03 AM
TBC OZoNE

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

In a Nutshell yea....
But what else you could do to increase speed is add a Raid or IDE card to
you system and have each drive run on its Own interface....
Say hard drives on Motherboard IDE channels 1 and 2 and then DVD drives on
add-on card for IDE 3-4.
I been thinkin about doin this myself....I have a Promise IDE 133 card
sitting here that I may throw my DvDPlayer and CD-RW on and split the hard
drives....but due to Case size so many cables would kill airflow for me.
OZoNE

Old July 21st 04, 12:52 AM
Ron Reaugh

"ZigZag Master" wrote in message
OK, I also have 1 DVD writer and 1 DVD reader, so if I understand you
correctly, I should put one HD and one DVD on each channel???

Right.

Old July 21st 04, 12:55 AM
Ron Reaugh

"ZigZag Master" wrote in message
I have a Maxtor 200GB (6Y200P0) and a Western Digital 250GB WD2500JB in a
AMD 2500 / Abit NF7-S - 1GB RAM. I am running Windows XP Pro.

I was wondering how long it should take to copy large files between the
drives.

I have some TV captures that are about 8-12GB. It just seems like it

takes
a long time to copy from drive to drive....about 6-8 minutes. Is this
normal?

That's in the ballpark.

Also, do I have to do anything special to turn on DMA mode? I think I was
using Pinnacle Studio, and it popped up a window saying DMA mode was not
enabled on the Maxtor.

Make SURE DMA mode is enabled for ALL ATA/IDE devices.

Old July 21st 04, 08:31 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:30:40 -0400, ZigZag Master wrote:

OK, I also have 1 DVD writer and 1 DVD reader, so if I understand you
correctly, I should put one HD and one DVD on each channel???

If you've only got 2 channels and 4 devices, then you want the devices you
copy to/from most on seperate channels. but you also need to consider
from which drive you copy to the DVD wiriter most and keep them seperate
as well if possible. It depsnds on how you use the sytem as to how to best
configure the drives. Someone suggested another controller card, using 1
drive per channel. That would be the best solution if that's posssible.
They're cheap as dirt (I bought a dual channel with raid for about $10),
so cost shouldn't be an issue for most people.

Old July 21st 04, 01:27 PM
Folkert Rienstra

[...]

Nope.

as each channel can only perform 1 IO fubction at a time.

Like this would be any different for SCSI or any other bus.

So it will have to read to ram, then write back out to the same channel.

So what. An IDE channel can support two drives.

Old July 21st 04, 01:27 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Ron Reaugh" wrote in message
"ZigZag Master" wrote in message
I have a Maxtor 200GB (6Y200P0) and a Western Digital 250GB WD2500JB in a
AMD 2500 / Abit NF7-S - 1GB RAM. I am running Windows XP Pro.

I was wondering how long it should take to copy large files between the
drives.

I have some TV captures that are about 8-12GB. It just seems like it takes
a long time to copy from drive to drive....about 6-8 minutes. Is this
normal?

That's in the ballpark.

Also, do I have to do anything special to turn on DMA mode? I think I was
using Pinnacle Studio, and it popped up a window saying DMA mode was not
enabled on the Maxtor.

Make SURE DMA mode is enabled for ALL ATA/IDE devices.

Why? 22MB/s is definitely not PIO mode.
Old July 21st 04, 01:48 PM
Michael Brown

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
[...]

Wrong. His drives will only be running at half their potential if they're
both on the same channel.

as each channel can only perform 1 IO fubction at a time.

Like this would be any different for SCSI or any other bus.

Actually, it is. An ATA bus (current SATA implementations or parallel) can
only have one active request at a time. A SCSI bus can have requests
outstanding, so there is very little wastage of bus bandwidth (though more
complex electronics are needed).

So it will have to read to ram, then write back out to the same
channel.

So what. An IDE channel can support two drives.

Yes, but not at the same time. Only one request can be active at any point
in time. So your drives will run at exactly half of their potential speed if
you only use one channel. This is the reason why doing any sort of IDE RAID
pretty much requires that you have one device per channel, otherwise you
take a big performance hit.

Using 2 channels (cables), both will happen at the same time.

Nope.

You're wrong, again. You should actually understand the topic before you
answer with such confidence

[...]

--
Michael Brown