PC Card size/lenght

Old October 23rd 07, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Alpha One

Default PC Card size/lenght

I can insert two pc-cards into my lap-top Dell Inspiron 8200. I have a
wireless Netgear pc card in one slot. I want to install another one with two
USB ports. The problem is that they won't fit together. They are thicker at
the end. Is there a model that can solve this?

Thank you

Old October 23rd 07, 04:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

"Alpha One" wrote in message
I can insert two pc-cards into my lap-top Dell Inspiron 8200. I have a
wireless Netgear pc card in one slot. I want to install another one with
two USB ports. The problem is that they won't fit together. They are
thicker at the end. Is there a model that can solve this?

I had no luck locating any, so I finally picked up a real cheap 4 port USB
card and cracked it open... I now have four nice shiny USB ports hanging of
an ugly card with dangly cables.

Old October 23rd 07, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 03:15:24 GMT, "Noozer"
wrote:

"Alpha One" wrote in message
I can insert two pc-cards into my lap-top Dell Inspiron 8200. I have a
wireless Netgear pc card in one slot. I want to install another one with
two USB ports. The problem is that they won't fit together. They are
thicker at the end. Is there a model that can solve this?

I had no luck locating any, so I finally picked up a real cheap 4 port USB
card and cracked it open... I now have four nice shiny USB ports hanging of
an ugly card with dangly cables.

.... or just get a USB wifi card to replace the PC card.
Old October 23rd 07, 12:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gerard Bok

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:03:33 -0400, "Alpha One"
wrote:

I can insert two pc-cards into my lap-top Dell Inspiron 8200. I have a
wireless Netgear pc card in one slot. I want to install another one with two
USB ports. The problem is that they won't fit together. They are thicker at
the end. Is there a model that can solve this?

No.
Your laptop likely accomodates either 2 type I cards or 1 type II
or type III.
Both a network card and a USB card require type II at least.
(That's by design, you hardly get more functionality than just
plain memory in a type I card.)

Maybe Dell (or someone else) can supply you with an internal wifi
retrofit ?

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
Old October 23rd 07, 04:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

wrote:

"Alpha One" wrote in message
I can insert two pc-cards into my lap-top Dell Inspiron 8200. I have a
wireless Netgear pc card in one slot. I want to install another one with
two USB ports. The problem is that they won't fit together. They are
thicker at the end. Is there a model that can solve this?

I had no luck locating any, so I finally picked up a real cheap 4 port USB
card and cracked it open... I now have four nice shiny USB ports hanging
of
an ugly card with dangly cables.

... or just get a USB wifi card to replace the PC card.

Kinda hard to find a gigabit wifi card! : )

Old October 23rd 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:09:10 GMT, "Noozer"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Alpha One" wrote in message
I can insert two pc-cards into my lap-top Dell Inspiron 8200. I have a
wireless Netgear pc card in one slot. I want to install another one with
two USB ports. The problem is that they won't fit together. They are
thicker at the end. Is there a model that can solve this?

I had no luck locating any, so I finally picked up a real cheap 4 port USB
card and cracked it open... I now have four nice shiny USB ports hanging
of
an ugly card with dangly cables.

... or just get a USB wifi card to replace the PC card.

Kinda hard to find a gigabit wifi card! : )

Yep, but you can have USB-Gigabit-ethernet... though not
"really" gigabit since that's impossible over USB2, but I'd
suspect it's still a bit faster that USB-100Mb.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=281799

I probably wouldn't bother though, to me 802.11g is the
sweet spot for a notebook, as even if you go with 11n you
can't expect any place outside your own lan to support more
than 11g.

eSATA cable lenght Natéag Asus Motherboards 3 April 19th 07 05:14 PM
Video Card Size Joel Dell Computers 5 January 9th 06 04:24 AM
Panasonic KX-P1180 Form Lenght Stephane Hebert Printers 1 May 22nd 04 06:19 PM
Maximum lenght of UDMA calbe Sarenka Storage (alternative) 8 February 20th 04 11:35 AM
Is there a maximum cable lenght for s-video on ATI Cards ? JAD Ati Videocards 0 September 30th 03 07:23 PM